Friday 8 May 2020

An Easy Spicy Applesauce Cake

Hello Friends!

I don't know about you, but I am baking a lot more these days. Is it the craving for comfort food and something sweetly satisfying?  Is it driven by the need to do something familiar and soothing? Or is it the need to make sure nothing goes to waste?  I am using up a lot of out of date things that might otherwise have lingered too long in the cupboard and ended up wasted.  I know one thing, as a nation we must be baking a lot more as, following on from the toilet paper shortage of seven weeks ago, we now find ourselves struggling to find flour, sugar and eggs!

I found some chunky, home made applesauce lurking in the freezer. It has been there since last Autumn.  It needed using, and as I have not been baking much since Christmas I found I have some slightly out of date flour and baking fat that needed using up too.  I don't know why, I suddenly fancied an apple cake of some sort, so I Googled Applesauce Cake.  I found a lot of different recipes, so I took elements from several of them, converted from metric and cups into Imperial {I am an old fashioned girl when it comes to my baking} and devised my own recipe, which follows.

Cooling in the tin

A slice showing the chunky apple sauce and raisins

It makes quite a dense texture, maybe I didn't add enough baking powder?  Maybe I should have used self raising?  It is not unlike a Bread Pudding {do not confuse with a Bread and Butter Pudding}and for that reason I really like it.  A lot. It is good warm with yogurt, or a drizzle of Golden Syrup.

Here's what I did.

4 oz butter
7 oz sugar {I used golden granulated}
up to 10 oz apple sauce {smooth or chunky} unsweetened if using a sweet apple.
8 oz plain flour, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
a scant 1/4 fresh grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder {optional}
2 oz dried fruit {cranberries, raisins, sultanas etc} optional
sugar for sprinkling {optional}

Cream together the butter and sugar.  Stir in about 8 oz of the apple sauce and combine well.  Add the rest of the ingredients.  Add more apple sauce if mixture is too dry, and make sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
Tip into a greased and floured 20cm round baking tin.  Sprinkle with a little sugar, if using, or add when cake comes out of the oven, depending how you want it to look.
Bake on Gas Mark 4 for approximately 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Cool in tin for 15 minutes then carefully remove from tin to finish cooling.

I may try adding walnuts next time, which I think would be a good addition.  I will also bake it in a suitable loaf style pan too.

As there are no eggs, if you use a vegan baking fat I think it would be good for vegans too.


with home made yogurt for pudding


Next up to the oven are the two long term resident oranges in my fridge. I fancy an Orange Drizzle and maybe a small batch of Orange and Blueberry Muffins.  Waste Not, Want Not, and my freezer has space now, at last, but not for long.

Today is VE Day. Normally, street parties and all manner of social gatherings would have occurred, along with events from Buckingham Palace and all up and down the length and breadth of Great Britain, but Covid-19 has put a stop to almost all activities.  A lot of people put up bunting, and this afternoon a few of us gathered, carefully observing social distancing, in a neighbour's car port. We each brought our own cup of tea, and our own plates of food.  We sat, a good six feet apart, and chatted for over an hour.  Up and down our street similar groups gathered outside on the pavement. I cannot begin to tell you how good it was to talk to people face to face instead of over the phone, but it was a strange time too, celebrating that which brought us all closer together seventy five years ago, by keeping our distance from one another.

Here is my tray.  I picked a tiny posy from the garden, including Forget-Me-Nots and London Pride, which seemed appropriate inclusions, and Treasure had his own, special, tiny picnic hamper too.



Did you do anything to celebrate VE Day? I hope you managed something to alleviate the current mood.  We do know how to put on a good street party in Great Britain, and excel at celebrating all the anniversaries, jubilees and royal weddings!

Until next time
Deborah xo

10 comments:

  1. Sadly there is hardly a mention of VE Day here in the USA, Deb. Of course there is a small mention in our newspaper and a little story or two on the news. Millions of American soldiers were in Europe during the war. Seems as one generation after another passes on we fail to remember. I admire how Great Britain remembers the sacrifices of those who came before. Your block party tray is beautiful. I love Treasure's basket. How dear...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen. That seems harsh, and I am sure many Americans will be dismayed and hurt at such little mention, for our Allies from America played a vital part in the victory. I think here we do pass the flame of remembrance down to new generations, but I wonder how much they truly understand of what did happen and why it must never happen again.
      Yes, Treasure is hoping for his very own picnic on the lawn soon!
      Stay well! Deb xoxo

      Delete
  2. Your apple cake looks delicious. I like a dense cake full of fruit. I think it looks great the way it is, but if you decide to make it again in a different pan, I'd be curious to see how it turns out. I am thinking a nice bourbon caramel sauce over it would have been yummy, too. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dear Friend. Now, that's a very good suggestion. You have made me hungry at breakfast. Let me know if you try it.
      Stay well! Deb xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi
    Thank you for the inspiration! Just the other day wondering what to do with my frozen apple sauce.
    I am going to try this recipe
    https://www.bakingmad.com/recipe/spiced-apple-sauce-cake

    I did laugh... also preferring imperial for cooking... button at the top and bing! converted.
    Website seemed to have many other good looking recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love applesauce, and can't imagine how this box lingered so long! Thanks for the tip on Bing conversion.

      Delete
  4. Your apple cake looks delicious and thanks for the recipe. It reminds me a bit of a Dorset Apple Cake I make but that uses small chunks of apples instead of the sauce. Timothy is very jealous of Treasure's hamper! Good to hear you had such a good hour yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I came across several recipes using raw apples too. Next harvest time, maybe? Sorry Treasure's hamper caused a spot of jealousy.

      Delete
  5. I daren’t bake as we would just end up really overweight. For that reason I stopped years ago. I do have a little relapse every so often to make rhubarb crumble muffins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very good about eating my baking. I used to bake and give it to people, but that is not appropriate now, so I cut things up and freeze them. I enjoy baking too much to not bake, especially now.

      Delete