Monday 22 April 2019

Springtime ~ in which flowers emerge

Hello Friends!


I love Spring! There's just so much to love as the Earth awakens from it's long, slow regeneration over the cold, dark Winter months; the light returns bringing a few precious minutes more with each new day; leaves and flowers sprout, grow and flourish; and we look forward to warmer days ahead that put an end to the cabin fever days of Winter. If we are lucky, we get a taste of Summer days ahead, which is especially good over Easter when almost everyone has time off work.

Here's what's happening in my cottage garden as the weeks of the year turn slowly into late Spring.

I haven't decorated my front porch for a number of years. Alzheimer's is a strange disease, and while Mum ordinarily loved to see what I had made, as her illness progressed the disturbance to her environment caused by the simplest of things would bring on a change in temperament.  So, it was best not to decorate and disturb the familiar surroundings.  This year, it took everything I had to do anything at all, but I know she would love it, and hope she was smiling as she looked down upon my Easter buntings.


I've pottered about with some pots, and underplanted the slate trough with violas. I am slowly doing away with pots, everything will eventually find a new home in the evolving borders, but you would not think so to see the patio this year!


I love my white Pasque flower. It came into it's own, full of pure white blooms just in time for Easter.





It's now in that stage where the earliest of the blooms are turning brown and the temptation is to dead head and tidy it up, but I know that if I do I won't see the reason I grow this lovely plant, and that is to see, and photograph, the simply fabulous seed heads which provide a great point of interest for many weeks to come.



One of the things you will notice about me as I putter around the borders is that I am not fast, oh, no, I am a slow gardener for I like to give the awakening wildlife a chance to wake from their lazy, sunny afternoon dozing amongst the weeds, giving them an opportunity to escape to another spot, but not before I have snapped them!  Here is a beautiful Angle Shades moth.


Not moving in haste also gives me time to find mosses, worts, and lichens that scatter in the soil or on plant pots.  I think this is a liverwort but it looks more like something from outer space!


Last Summer, my village hosted a charity fundraising open gardens weekend. It was a relaxing two days, popping into every open garden for a peek, a chat, and often a cup of tea and some cake. A few gardeners had potted up small cuttings to sell to generate more money for the cause. I bought this, a Libertina, and completely forgot all about it until I found the pot yesterday afternoon. It's a striking plant, I love the bright, vertical stripes of colour, and I think my camera and I will have a lot of fun with this one as the Summer progresses!



Finally, for today, the Aquilegia have started to open, and I am pleased with this photo I took of the earliest bloom to break bud, looking forward to many more in the coming weeks!


Thank you for stopping by today ~~~
Until next time ~~~
Deborah

10 comments:

  1. Lovely close up photos of all your flowers.
    I like the Easter decoration bunting too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, your flowers are so lovely as are your words and photos! The Pasque blossom is quite intriguing in its beauty. So delicate it appears and at just the right time of year. I love seeing it in your garden. And you know I adore the beauty of the columbine --I love seeing them blooming in a garden and especially your's. That photograph is suitable for framing, my friend! xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you my friend! I'm flattered indeed, but remember I only snap what is there! The Pasque seed heads are already needing to be snapped several times a day, once they begin to change it's rapid! Have a lovely Easter Week xoxo

      Delete
  3. You have some lovely flowers in your garden - the Pasque flower is so delicate and beautiful and I love your last photo of the Columbine. Interesting to see your pot - am slowly trying to have less here!!

    Fascinating to see the liverwort - I was looking at some growing near the pond earlier today - it is amazing what you can find if you look closely.

    The Easter bunting is so pretty and I am sure your mum would love it. My Mum died from advanced alzheimers nearly a year ago and I am only just slowly starting to remember her as she was before the disease took hold. It is so very distressing to see the effects of the illness on those you love so am thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am so sorry for your loss, and know the pain we suffer watching our loved ones slip away from this awful disease which impacts in multiple ways we don't understand until we live with someone we slowly lose. Thinking of you.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful words, wonderful photos...lovely visit~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you came along, my dear friend! Wish you were here for real xo

      Delete
  5. You take such beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your garden and your life with your readers. I'm glad I found your Blog, I think it was through Susan Branch and her Blog---but I'm not positive. I look forward to your musings that include so many interesting little details. And it intrigues me to learn things about where you live; which is far away from where I am in California.

    ReplyDelete