Friday 13 February 2015

Mincemeat Palmiers

Gentle Reader ~~~ ooops! A while back I promised to share my Mincemeat Palmier idea. So, I'm sitting here today, the day before St Valentine's Day, curled up in front of the fire nursing a nasty head cold ~~~ feeling a tad sorry for myself as the weather is horrible and the world looks as glum as I am feeling today ~~~

I did make a mistake, as you will see, but they are very easy, and great for using up those odds and ends that haunt the fridge and freezer after Christmas, but, of course, you can make them at any time of year.  Sometimes they are called Elephant Ears or French Hearts ~~~ 

I made mine using up leftover frozen puff pastry {which I always keep on hand in the freezer for emergencies} and a half jar of mincemeat that was languishing in the fridge ~~~

Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.

I used a half jar of mincemeat, an orange, bought puff pastry, and some left over marzipan from icing the cake ~~~



I always add extra spice to everything ~ I love spice, but of course this is optional ~~~


In a small bowl, place the contents of the jar of mincemeat and the grated rind of the orange ~~~



Add your spice if using and grated marzipan ~~~



Unroll the puff pastry and spread the mixture across, leaving a small margin on the longer sides ~~~ these are a little over filled, and you will see what happened ~~~



 Roll up the edges to nearly meet in the middle of the pastry ~~~



Fold in half ~~~



Cut into pieces, about 1/2 an inch ~~~



Place cut side down on a baking tray ~~~




Bake in the oven for about 15~20 minutes until all puffed up and golden ~~~ as you will see, a lot of my filling oozed out because I'd overstuffed them. I didn't mind though, they were not for anyone else, only me, and they tasted really yummy and didn't last long ~~~ {I'm not afraid of showing what went wrong, we learn from our mistakes!}



Plated up with a light dusting of icing sugar snow to mask the imperfections ~~~



I might not get 10/10 for looks but they tasted just fine and it is better than wasting the ingredients!  Next time I'll get them right!



In the UK, Valentine's Day is a celebration of the love between couples, but in the spirit of an American Valentine's Day ~ where it is for everyone to share love and friendship ~ I send you all greetings for a Very Happy St Valentine's Day and thank you for the friendship we share through our online writings and photographs ~~~





20 comments:

  1. Deb, your mincemeat palmiers look divine! My mouth is watering. Thank you for showing what's real in your kitchen. I certainly do not have perfection in mine!
    I hope you begin to feel much better soon--a head cold is just the worst! Enjoy your time by the fire and have one of delicious looking palmiers with some soothing tea. xo ♥
    PS--Your rose is beautiful--looks like a sterling silver beauty I used to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Martha Ellen, the only way we learn is from mistakes and this is an easy one to make! Still feeling rough, so sitting here with my feet up. I think the rose is the Peace rose. ~~~Deb

      Delete
  2. My Goodness .. they look so yummy! I never think to buy puff pastry .. and yet its a great idea .. just to keep in the freezer .. and pull out for a quick pie top or yummy bake. I shall put it on my list.

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Vicky! I used to make my own puff pastry until I learned all the famous chefs mostly use bought. If it is good enough for them then it is good enough for me. ~~~Deb

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for the Mincemeat Palmier recipe! I have 3/4 jar of mincemeat in the fridge, so this is going to be made soon! Can I use pie dough in the same way? I often have some left after making a pie. Also, thank you for the Valentine greeting! Hope you have a happy day. Jane xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane ~ I am not sure regular pie {shortcrust?} would work as well as you need the flaky pastry to puff up. I would make pin wheels instead, or I would make a rustic open pie by rolling it into a round, spreading the mincemeat over, piling up with chopped apples and maybe dried cranberries and bringing the edges over to make a round, open top pie. ~~~Deb

      Delete
    2. That sounds lovely! I decided on a recipe on the mincemeat jar, and eager to try it tonight! It is cooling now! I made a crumb crust with flour, a bit of sugar, melted butter,salt and baking soda. Saved a cup of that. Pressed the rest into a 9 x 13 baking dish; spread that with the mincemeat; sprinkled the rest of the crumb plus 1 c. of chopped walnuts over that and baked. It will make 2 doz. bars and will store well. I plan to try the palmier, though, when I have some puff pastry. They look wonderful.
      Jane. xo P.S. I make an apple crostata as you describe the rustic pie above, with apple slices, orange rind and cranberries (whole, fresh), sprinkled with a cinnamon, sugar mixture. It is one of Gene's favorites.

      Delete
    3. I love the sound of your mincemeat bars! Daddy loved mince pies so much that we ate them frequently through the year. He would have loved your bars. Mum would short cut on making them by a similar idea ~ lining a tray with pastry, layer of mincemeat, and topping with more pastry ~ as a small pie, but cut into bars.
      Isn't it lovely to exchange all these ideas? ~~~Deb

      Delete
  4. I think your palmiers looked delicious, and I don't even like mincemeat! Happy Valentine's Day to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me smile! You can make them with cheese ~ that is very good too! ~~~Deb

      Delete
  5. Looks very easy to do, I think I will try it. Time to get some puff pastry. I love the new header. I do believe that is one of your doodles, yes? Lovely!

    Feel better soon, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed on of my doodles~ you remembered it! ~ wish I knew how to resize my images though! Still feeling very rough today, burning and achey :( ~~~Deb

      Delete
  6. Mmmmmm! Mincemeat Palmiers make such sweet little Valentines! What a wonderful idea, Deb! Hope you will get lots of rest and feel better very soon. Happy Valentine's Day, sweet friend! ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn ~~~ Palmiers do make a perfect little heart shape, well, usually! ~~~Deb

      Delete
  7. I love these Deborah, I always have puff pastry in the freezer too & bought up some mincemeat in the sale for pennies with a date of next year. I will make some this week, we love mincemeat.
    Happy Valentines to you too. We are going to have a Valentines tea today, the children are making heart chocolates & the twins have made decorations for the table.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After Christmas is the best time to buy mincemeat, then there is plenty of time to 'doctor' it up before you need it for next Christmas. I, too, love mincemeat. Enjoy your Valentine's tea ~ hope you will share the twins' decorations too ~~~Deb

      Delete
  8. Happy Valentines' Day, I wonder if these would be good with a fruit compote instead of mincemeat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fruit compote might be a little too wet, as was my mincemeat, but it is always worth a try, and they'd be heavenly with custard! ~~~Deb

      Delete