Dear Friends
Well, not exactly money for old rope, more for old magazines and other bits and bobs. I've jumped on the Vinted bandwagon.
A while back, encouraged by a friend, I dipped my toes in the pond of Vinted. Ever since then, I have been rendered quite speechless at the things people buy and the prices they are prepared to pay.
Vinted has been getting some bad press recently, parcel lockers not working, refunds not being met, wallets not functioning as they should etc, but I'm not here to discuss those today. And, let's face it, most businesses have bingad press and publicity at one time or another. No, I just want to chat about what people are actually pay good money for, by way of "stuff" {shades of Miranda Priestly here} that I had earmarked for the weekly recycling.
One man's trash, as they say, is another man's treasure . . .
I suppose everyone has something they hanker after or want so badly that they will pay silly money for it. Of course, how much they will pay is all relative to what is being sold and how much is being asked. We're not talking huge sums of money for long lost treasures, just things that I considered rubbish that have given a nice little boost to my bank balance.
A few months ago, a new friend introduced me to Vinted when I told her I had boxes of clothes, books, accessories, bric a brac, etc waiting to donate to local charity shops. She asked if I'd thought of selling on Vinted. I hadn't, but then she helped me set up an account and within a couple of days I'd sold my first item, and the whole process was so easy peasy, I had money in my clammy little hand and someone, somewhere had a pretty brooch that they were very happy with. Since then I haven't looked back.
To the brooch in question. I bought it about ten years ago, it was £25 and I paid £15 for it in a sale. I've worn it and enjoyed it, looked after it and kept it in its original box, but my style has changed and frankly I find clasps tricksy to manage so I put it on Vinted and as it was in very good condition, after taking good photos, writing a good description, and doing due diligence on pricing I listed it for £25.00 and got the asking price!
All I had to do then was wrap it up and take it to the post office, pick up the label, which is paid for by the purchaser, and off it went. A few days later the parcel was delivered, the purchaser approved the sale, and the money arrived in my Vinted wallet where I can keep it until I either want to make a purchase on Vinted or transfer it to my bank account. No commission taken, all fees and postage paid for by the purchaser.
So, I had the use of a lovely brooch for ten years and made a profit of £10.00! Can't beat that with a stick. I know most sales aren't like that, but it just goes to show, that piece was destined for a charity shop where it might have brought in £3 or £4 at best. And, after all, charity begins at home!
I noticed Emma Bridgewater stoneware on the site. I had two mugs, limited editions, both in very good condition in original boxes, and both discontinued. I paid £20 each for them and sold them a few months ago for £45 each! Another good deal, and as my Parkinson's progresses I am dropping more and more things, so better to move them out to a good home than drop them here and break them.
There have been a few good sales since, but even things that don't turn a profit is still money in my pocket and not someone else's!
Then I noticed there's quite a market in secondhand magazines of all things! Well, if there's one thing I have loads of its old magazines. Of course they are all in good condition, bought, read once, put on a shelf and forgotten about. They had been destined for recycling. I had offered them to a local Brownie troupe, and to a Sunday Club for craft work, but they {thankfully} declined. Thankfully, because I just sold 12 copies of Martha Stewart Living Magazine circa 2006/07 for a whopping £27.00, but better than that, I also sold two vintage Vogue magazines from the early 00's for £15.00 each! All together this week I have added just under £100 to my bank balance, simply by selling junk!
Not everything turns a profit, such as the pair of Cotton Traders jeans I bought and never worn. Originally £32.00, I bought them on sale for £18.00. I had put them in the charity shop pile, but then listed them on Vinted, within a week they'd sold {on buyer's offer}for £12.00, so that's £12.00 more for me than if I'd sent to the charity shop I'd have had £00.00 for them.
I have to mention the one thing that has absolutely amazed me more than anything else though, and that is coming across several sellers offering for sale clean, used Bonne Maman jam jars! Now that really is money for old rope! When I think of the jam jars that I have committed to the recycling centre!
Honestly, it's like taking candy from a baby!
I don't want to mention the "C" word, but I have noticed an increase in the number of seasonal merchandise listed, so maybe it's the right time of year for these things.
On a more appropriate seasonal level, I'm making some bookmarks. I used a simple sunflower stamp which I double ended and painted in. Here is the WiP, and once finished I will mount on some orange or yellow card, add some ribbon and they will be ready to use.
I don't know who else is looking forward to The Traitors Celebrities, I know I am, and not long to go now. I am not a huge fan of "celebrity" versions of programmes, but I do enjoy The Traitors greatly. Such a line up this year too!
On that note, it's taken me two days to just get this done, and I'm starting to get sleepy now. I've done quite well, I've been awake since 7:30 a.m. and it's now 10:35 a.m., so not bad going, awake for three straight hours, Tesco done and dusted, and finishing this entry ready to post.
Debbie xx

No comments:
Post a Comment