Sunday 7 April 2024

Going Back To Bed

Hello Friends!

Ohh deary deary deary me. I really shouldn't watch the craft shopping channels. I really shouldn't but I'm not having a good day, so I'm just sitting here watching a demonstrator make one mistake after another. I'm wondering how they get away with it.

Truth be told, I'm not having a very good time of things at all. My tremors are getting worse. I'm doing everything I can not to let it get me down but it isn't easy to keep one's spirits up as one's health and mobility deteriorate, knowing that there is no returning to how things used to be, and things will just continue to worsen. There is no help coming from any quarter. I've been on Social Services waiting list now for over a year. Just this week they told me there is no sight of me getting help for a very long time to come. I really don't know how much longer I will blog for, unless they find me something to reduce the tremors.

Back to the presenter with her mistakes. I don't claim to be an expert, but I have studied the history of patchwork and quilting and have a fairly extensive knowledge base of methods and practices, in many countries, but in particular the origins and names of block patterns. I have given talks and demonstrations on the subject and have taught informal classes, so to sit here and watch a relative newcomer to a craft that is millenia old virtually rewrite the history books is painful to say the least. Not to mention that she is giving out the wrong instructions which will inevitable end badly for some.

I have no energy, I don't have the focus this morning to read, so I was harmlessly {as I thought} channel surfing and came across the craft shopping channel HobbyMaker where I've just witnessed a so called expert/demonstrator who has just renamed at least two traditional patterns {Churn Dash and Tippecanoe}, giving them new made up names. She has also redefined the definition of patchwork as the stitching together of squares of fabric. Explain that to the school of English Paper piecers, or exponents of Victorian Crazy Patchwork stitchers.

I am about to despair as she now recommends stitching your patchwork together with rounded corners. How on Earth are you supposed to achieve those crisp pinpoint corners for accurate pattern placement? Accuracy is probably the single most important factor in producing a good, clean lined pattern. The human eye will swiftly pick out those mistakes in a repeat pattern. A 1/8th inch error if repeated multiple times will result in a much larger or smaller block than planned, or garment if you are making clothing. Think of a 4 panel A line skirt. One eighth of an inch to either side of the stitching line on each seam = 1/4 inch variance per seam = 1 inch over the entire garment. I shall stop now before I get too technical but an inch is an inch and can make that skirt waistband too tight or too slack.

Moving on . . .

I drew this rather lovely {if I do say so myself} hare with the moon in graphite with gold paint.


I have started a second one with three rabbits which I will share with you very soon.

If the debacle with the patchwork and quilting "expert" wasn't enough to drive me back to my bed, the weather most certainly is! Gale force winds, another named Storm {Katherine} with torrential rain falling on already sodden ground, and thunder and lightening. Heigh ho!

Until next time
Stay safe, Stay well

Debbie

8 comments:

  1. Oh Deb, I'm so sorry to hear your health is taking a turn. Watching a program about quilting sounds like it would be lovely, but the so called expert and her rounded corners sounds ridiculous. You are so right, the measurements must be exact or the whole quilt will be wobbly! How some folks make it on these shows is a mystery. Your lovely hare is beautiful. I look forward to seeing more of your artwork and hearing how things are going for you, dear one. Take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, well it is what it is, I have to deal with it the best I can and keep praying for a miracle cure.
      Presenters/demonstrators are a law unto themselves, but there should be better control over the information they give.
      Have a lovely week, my friend.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry to read that your tremors are getting worse, I do wonder if your medical team may be able to help with slightly different medication? Social Services seem to be struggling no matter what part of the country you live, such a sorry state of affairs.

    On a positive note I love your hare with the moon, it's beautiful and I hope you keep sharing your lovely artwork with us.

    Sending my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. My medical team are on it. The state of Social Services across the country is cause for concern. Many have worked and paid into the system which is now letting us down when we need it. I seem to fall into that category of "by the time it became apparent that I would have to fund certain things myself it was too late to make up the deficit". I would advise anyone these days to make healthcare and social care provisions in their retirement budget plans!

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry Debbie to hear your tremors are getting worse and I do hope your GP or nurse can do something to help you.. A dreadful state of affairs re Social Services as I so wish you could get some help.
    I think your hare with the moon is beautiful and I look forward to seeing the rabbits.
    Thinking of you and Take Care Caroline (Ragged Robin)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for your continued woes with your health and lack of help. Your advice of prioritizing a budget for future health costs is very true. I wish I had done that. I am still praying for you to get the help you need and soon!

    Your hare is just lovely and a stately fellow. You did such a marvelous job. I look forward to seeing more of your creations whenever you can make them. You always amaze me. Take care, Dear Friend~

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a splendid rabbit. I hope it gets framed and that you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beware self appointed experts.

    ReplyDelete