Sunday 7 August 2022

Artful August Part One

Hello Friends!

Thank you to everyone who left such generous comments, so kindly welcoming me back.

After ICAD finished, I decided to work on another online art challenge, Rachel Greig's Artful August.  A month of 31 daily prompts using any mediums or substrates of your choice.  Unless otherwise stated, I'm using A5 student grade watercolour card.

I'll continue to share my ICADs separately from Artful August, so you'll know to look out for a midweek ICAD post and a weekend Artful August post from me for a few weeks until I'm caught up.

Day 1 Garden.  I reworked an earlier piece that I made in memory of a friend who had an underwater garden in Bermuda. She used to tell me of it's beauty, and how she would snorkel around to tend to it.  Mixed media paints and inks.


Day 2 Shimmer.  I used a set of new shimmer paint pans to emulate moonshine on the land and sea.  Aren't they yummy?


I made a short video to try and best show the shimmer paint effect.




I was very happy with how the moon turned out.


Day 3 Numbers  I was struggling with this and ended up being rather obvious.  I must add, though, that I did Not use a stencil for this, rather I bound two nicely sharpened pencils together to mimic italic script.


Day 4  Soft.  A mixed media collage on a Brusho background, using inks, tissue paper, silk paper, bubble wrap and more.  I'm very happy with this as it's not something I do often and it took me well out of my comfort zone.


Day 5 was Envelope, but I have set that aside for another day, so jumped ahead and picked Botanical from the list instead.  Another Brusho background {I do love Brushos} and then I looked for shapes within, outlined with Micron pen, and detailed using paint pens.

Day 6 "Linear"  A bit busy today so falling back on one I made earlier.  Once a Blue Peter Girl, always a Blue Peter Girl! 😁  A5 watercolour card with alcohol ink pens.  Nice and bright to wake me up.  Neurographic art.

Day 7 "Bright".  Well, I could have used that last one as it's very bright!  Sunflowers are my favourite. Freestyle drawn from memory, not observed. Brusho, Inktense, Sakura paint, Derwent Graphitint, and graphite pencil 

I've called this "Sunflowers Don't Just Come in Yellow"

I have promised myself to do sunflower sketches and paintings from direct observation.

Do you have a favourite one?  I'd love to know, and why!

Until next time
Stay Safe, Stay Well

Debbie 

16 comments:

  1. I love those new shimmer paints! The drawings are all lovely. I particularly like number 4 and the moon one with the shimmer paints. You are very imaginative and creative in your paintings :) A lovely blog post. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ragged Robin. Yes, the shimmer paints are lovely. The fourth image is very popular with everyone!

      Delete
  2. First off, I'm so happy to see you writing here again. I'm catching up as we have been at the beach.
    It's quite hard to pick a favorite, my friend, as I like them all! The day four piece is quite lovely. The colors drew me in for a closer look! The mixed botanicals is so pretty as well. And of couse I love the sunflowers! Your friends underwater garden sounds intriguing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen. I thought you might be at the beach as I've missed you. Yes, four is very popular indeed. So happy you like my work. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Oh you have been busy. Love all these - though Soft appeals to me and those shimmer paints gave a wonderful effect. Do you buy your painting stuff on line or is there an art shop you visit? I had hoped to find time to let my creative side have a little more free rein once we moved here, but sadly life has put a big size 9 boot in the way. All the better to enjoy your pictures anyway. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bovey Belle. Soft, or number four is very popular indeed. I have been building up supplies over the years from online to a lovely art shop in my nearest town. Stupidly, I was afraid to use things I like because I won't have them any longer! My diagnosis has changed all that, I now Use The Paint!! I hope you can find time for even ten minutes creativity daily, but fully understand where you're coming from.

      Delete
  4. I think my favourite is the sunflowers

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made some wonderful pages. My absolute favourite is the moon shining on the water. Those new paints are good. Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie. The moon shine one was a happy accident. It's good to treat ourselves to new paint sometimes.

      Delete
  6. What a fun group of challenges and using some new materials, too. I love your shimmer paints -- those are yummy. That moon is fabulous and I loved those brights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. The shimmer paints are yummy and such fun to use.

      Delete
  7. Hi Deborah. Your paintings are quite beautiful. I'm sorry to learn of your life-changing medical condition, but heartened that you are not letting it get you down. Instead, you are creating beautiful art and sharing it with us! I still have my art table and all my supplies staring me in the face EVERYDAY for the past 3 years! My problem is I don't feel as though painting or drawing is something I WANT to do. My reason for trying my hand at it in the first place has evaporated so maybe it isn't my thing. But I'm not to the point of getting rid of everything, so maybe there is still hope. Being able to draw is a useful skill no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. Courage, Dear Heart! It will come, or some other creative skill in it's stead. My dearest friend has just returned to her art table after a two year drought and her work is more beautiful than ever. Whatever is meant for your creative soul will come soon, I'm sure of it.

      Delete