Wednesday 11 November 2020

Little Donkeys

 Hello Friends!

How are you all doing?  We've just come out of a seventeen day Fire Break Lockdown in Wales, and England has just started a four week long Lockdown, which may be extended. I hope you are keeping well and busy, to help take your mind off things.

Once, a long, long time ago I had a dear cousin who regularly holidayed in Devon, and every year she brought back a tourist trap gift for my Grandmother.  Very often, this gift took the form of a donkey which always puzzled me, why a donkey?  Now I think about it, this was because she always went to the beautifully picturesque, historic, and unique village of Clovelly which is on a very, very steep hill.  Donkeys have, historically, played an enormous part in the day to day transport of provisions and services in this village on a hill, and you can read more about the village and the donkeys here and here.  I believe, today, the villagers use sleds to haul everything, thankfully the donkeys are retired and are now an attraction, no longer used as beasts of burden.

As I have been going through boxes in my attic, some of these have come to light.  


This one is a salt and pepper set, and if you look at the relief plate, following, that donkey also carries similar panniers so I think these are based on traditional methods of carrying goods up and down the streets of Clovelly.





Although not much is moving in the garden at present, I am thinking ahead to next Spring and an early crop of Broad Beans.  I love Broad Beans, so did my Mum and we always grew a later harvesting crop.  I enjoy them from the first pick of fresh, young beans, right through until they are old and floury when I cook up a panful and toss the well cooked beans in plenty of butter and serve seasoned with pepper and vinegar with slices of thick, buttered wholemeal bread to mop up the vinegary, buttery juices.  Mum and I both loved that Broad Bean Feed as we called it.

So, apparently, you can get an early crop of beans by starting your seeds off in Autumn.  I am all for having an extended crop of one of my favourites, so I sowed seventeen seeds, half the contents of my pack, around the middle of October, soaking them first, overnight, in a bowl of water.  This, apparently, helps speed up germination.

By Hallowe'en they had started to germinate, 


A few days later, coming along nicely


and this morning, the plants seem to be doing well, strong and healthy looking.


So, in under a month, I'm very happy with them.  Now the hard work begins, nursing them through the cold, wet Winter months.  Fifteen out of the seventeen seeds germinated, and I have another seventeen seeds to sow in the Spring.

I hope they come on and I have plenty to freeze, and to share with my neighbours too.

Until next time
Stay safe and well
Deborah xoxo

26 comments:

  1. I love those little donkeys - what a lovely selection. I haven't been to Clovelly for years but can remember it was a steep hill!!!

    Your broad bean seedlings look so healthy. I do hope they continue to thrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ragged Robin. I have never been to Clovelly, I would love to but that hill does look daunting. We'll be keeping an eye on the beans.

      Delete
  2. The thought of floury broad beans makes me feel quite ill!
    Good luck with the overwintering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived in Clovelly for a very short while many years ago, you need strong legs and good shoes. It has all changed now of course, there is a visitor centre and at long last the cottages have had money spent on them, some were in dire straits in the 60’s. Don’t think I could cope with the visitors they get now. Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an honour that must have been. Living in a tourist area myself, I understand all about coping with exploding temporary population numbers. Glad to hear the cottages have been improved too, for it's not all about appearances.

      Delete
  4. Love the donkeys! I remember Clovelly from holidays when I was a kid! Hope your beans survive the winter well! Have a great evening, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie. What a lovely place to have memories of. I hope the beans survive too, my mouth is watering already. Deb

      Delete
  5. Love those little donkeys, Deb! Great on that luck with the beans growing! It will be wonderful to have an early crop! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nellie, yes I hope to have a long eating season of a favourite, and versatile bean. Deb xo

      Delete
  6. I love the little donkeys. Yes, souvenir kitsch in some ways but really charming and appropriate for the area. I can see why she chose them and I might have done exactly the same. I'm impressed with your beans. I have trouble starting things inside -- my light is quite bad and not good space to do it. But I think that's a great idea! Have a lovely rest-of-week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie. The beans are living outside, but if the weather gets really bad they'll receive a bubble wrap and gaffer tape jacket! Enjoy your week.

      Delete
  7. Oh I love the story of the donkeys and the broad beans. Wow I! You are doing amazing with those beans. What a great idea.
    Sorry about the quarantine, but totally understand how we have to do what we have to do these days.
    Always great to see your blogposts.

    Blessings
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gert, and it's so lovely to see you again.
      Stay safe and well, Deb xo

      Delete
  8. Wow I! You are doing amazing with those beans. What a great idea.
    Sorry about the quarantine, but totally understand how we have to do what we have to do these days.
    Always great to see your blogposts.

    Blessings
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the darling donkeys you have freed from the attic to share with us, Deb. Such sweet reminders of Clovelly. The salt and pepper shakers catch my attention.
    Great job with the broad beans. It looks as though you will be enjoying your favorites come spring. Stay safe and well, my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. I was thinking of you as I typed this, for I know you've seen Clovelly first hand.
      Stay safe and enjoy your weekend
      Deb xoxo

      Delete
  10. Interesting about the donkeys. I'm glad the people pull their own stuff up the hill now though.

    Great to hear so many of your bean plants are off to such a great start. Good luck keeping them alive through Winter. Hope you have loads of beans to enjoy next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria. Yes, on both counts! The donkeys and the beans. Sounds like a title for a book.

      Delete
  11. Clovelly is an extraodinary place. Well done with the broad beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra. Who knows, if circumstances permit next year and my beans crop, you might even be one of the people who gets a bag!

      Delete
  12. I think the donkeys are sweet. I hope that someday you get to go to Clovelly and see it for yourself. Maybe you could bring me along with you! How I would love that. Your broad beans are doing great. I hope they give you a good start when you can put them in the ground. They look like they will. I look forward to seeing what other treasures you will find and show us.

    Take care, my friend,
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. How I wish we could visit Clovelly together. We could help each other back up to the top. A slow stroll and a few hours with a break or two and we'd manage it, I am sure. More treasures following, as I've just found some old glass dishes! Spoilers! xoxo

      Delete
  13. I do hate those ads that show donkeys being used in this way abroad and being mistreated, so glad it’s not done here anymore. We’ve never down beans or sweet peas in autumn for the very reason you mention- getting them through winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. I agree, the ads are most upsetting. I hope it will be mild enough here to bring the plants on. They're doing very nicely at the moment.

      Delete
  14. So enjoyed your post. When we can travel again I've got a trip to England in my thoughts. So many places I'd like to visit I'll have to stay for a month.

    ReplyDelete