Friday 10 April 2020

Springtime and Gratitude

Hello Friends!

I hope you are all keeping safe and well?  These lockdown conditions are not easy for any of us, not even for one of hermit like tendencies such as me.  I hope you are finding ways to keep your spirits up?

Although there is a lot, and I mean an awful lot, of work to be done in my garden before it is properly back on track, I had hoped to get my raised beds in order this Spring.  They're new, so need assembling along with compost and topsoil to fill.  Can you believe that I missed getting the compost delivered by less than half a day!  With lockdown looking set to continue, the possibilities of securing some now look remote.

Thankfully, I found some bags from last year, but nowhere near enough to fill even one raised bed, so I must prioritise how I will use it.  My only way forward now is pots.  Not my preferred way, but if I can produce enough salad crops {leaves, beetroot, spring onions and radish} in a few pots, it will be a good thing.  I found a packet of watercress seeds.  Watercress is apparently very high in nutritional value, and I like it, so that is a priority crop.  I have a couple of dustbins that have soil in, so I will try my runner beans in those.  I also think I might empty the compost pile, for there might be something good in there!

Everything else, my berries for example, will now have to rely on what would normally be the supplemental feeding.  I won't get a lot, but I will get something and for that I will be grateful.

Here are a few flower photos from the garden this week.







Wednesday this week saw a full moon super moon, also known as a Pink Moon.  No, the moon did not turn pink, apparently it is so called after the many pink wild flowers found at this time of year.

I took the first photo on Tuesday evening, it was cloudy and shortly after this was taken the clouds covered the view.


On Wednesday evening the sky was clear, and the super moon, the biggest of this year, filled my lens and spilled out of the frame.


Quite a difference between two evenings, don't you think?

I have been puttering a little with some media.  Here's a little countryside inspired picture I made with paints and stamps.  Umbels and seed heads are a particular favourite of mine.  Just faffing about with no direction in mind, just playing with what I have helps take my mind off the frightening situation in which we find ourselves now.


I am trying to find my muse, slowly but surely it will return, in this I trust.  I am starting to bake bread again, and began yesterday by baking my Hot Cross Buns for this Easter weekend.  They were not that bad considering I used out of date flour and yeast, but I will not waste food if I can help it.  Flour and yeast are both in short supply right now, so the nation must be baking!  This can only be a good thing.

Each day on Twitter, I try to post five things to be grateful for.  I find this a positive and often uplifting thing to do, reflecting each evening on five things that made me happy or for which I am deeply grateful.  If you are on Twitter I am @BeingMyHappy.

Stay Safe, Stay Well, My Friends!

Until next time
Deborah xo

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful images, both your photos and the mixed media.
    So sorry you are short of compost, could you ‘steal’ some from another part of the garden? Maybe dig up a section of lawn and place the turves grass-side down in the bottom of a raised bed. Grass is a weed up here and by next year any damage you do will probably have recovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's a brilliant idea, and given a thought I had already had it could not be more perfect. Watch this space!

      Delete
  2. Your photos are so beautiful and I love the mixed media of seedheads and umbels. I keep a nature journal and every day I try to note a few things that have made me happy. As you say we live in such worrying times and I find it hard not to be anxious. I just try and live each day as it comes and find different things to do that keep me occupied.

    So sorry to hear about the compost and I hope you can find a way to grow as much as possible.

    Take care and stay safe and well and I hope you enjoyed your Hot Cross Buns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. One day at a time is all we can do right now. I am busy planting today, more to follow shortly on this.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos, indeed. I love your art work. There is something special about umbels, I think.I gravitate towards them, too. I wish you a great growing season. I doubt I will get my raised beds done this year, but will plant and grow what I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear friend. It seems a love of umbels may be another thing we share, then? I know we'll manage what we can this growing season. D xo

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos Debbie. I’m glad you’re staying safe and being productive during isolation. I baked bread a few days ago, it was delicious. We also had a Zoom birthday party for Jackson and I baked him a cake that Mark and I devoured in no time. I’m baking hot cross buns today so wish me luck. Take care of yourself and stay positive my dear cousin. ��������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cousin! Joan sends her love. We keep in touch often. Hard to believe your youngest grandbaby is now a grown up! Made Hot Cross buns here too, baking is in our blood! Love to Mark and Bowie xoxo

      Delete
  5. Deb, it's lovely to see your beautiful blossoms. And that moonshot is spectacular! I know how hard that shot is to achieve. Your hot cross buns sound delicious. I found a ten pound bag of King Arthur flour in my pantry and made bread yesterday. I totally agree with you on not wasting food- Now more than ever. Stay safe and well, my friend. Happy Easter. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. The buns were okay, I am out of practice. I would not know how to store a bag of flour that size, but with current conditions I don't think it will last long. Easter Blessings! xo

      Delete
  6. Please tell me the name of the beautiful blue flowers. Love all your photos but this is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the first are bluebells and the second forget me nots.

      Delete
  7. Our pond is full of watercress so, it’s good to know that it has a high nutritional value

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will find your muse. In fact, I think you may already be cavorting with it. The art piece you did was wonderful and I am impressed with your baking and gardening. The timing of this has thrown gardening for a loop. All garden centers and stores that sell things like that are closed here. (A lot of people in MIchigan hate our governor for that). Her reasoning is solid. We're in a terrible covid mess in our state and everything except life saving, essential things must be closed. I don't see why there is such a kerfuffle about it, given that in Michigan it isn't really smart to plant anything before the end, or at the earliest, the middle of May. The weather can be just too dicey and cold. (Apart from lettuce, spinach, radishes, peas...) No one should put bedding flowers in the ground this early! But we can be in our yards to rake and weed and get ready for laying in mulch and such. Those flower photos are really beautiful. We're still not at that point but oh, I can't wait till we are!

    ReplyDelete