Monday 26 August 2019

Campanology and Vestments

Hello Friends!

Today was the Annual Open Day at St Davids Cathedral and I was lucky enough to not be in work so I was able to go, at least for part of it having the best part of my days off usurped by a broken boiler {we won't go there} so, armed with my camera I set off in earnest to pack in as much as I could in the short time I had available to me.

First I visited the Cathedral Library which is the only Cathedral Library in situ in the whole of Wales.  It is a very special place with over 7,000 books dating from the 16th century onwards, the Royal Charter from Queen Elizabeth II granting St Davids official City Status, and the atmosphere of such antiquity and accumulation of learning in an ecclesiastic setting has to be experienced first hand. The building itself is older than the oldest book contained therein.  Sadly, photography is not permitted, but it was a good point to begin the morning as a visit to this library always lifts my spirits with a sense of belonging. Of course, the climb up the circular stone staircase is an adventure in itself and it is a good idea to hold on to the ropes on either side!

I moved around the Cathedral, which by now was swarming with visitors from cruise ships which dock in nearby Fishguard Harbour and Pembroke Dock. Unfortunately, this hampered securing good photos, but it is easy enough for me to return. The main object of my day was to see the vestments which had been placed in a special display at the High Altar with the mediaeval encaustic tiled floor. I did my best, fighting elbow to elbow with the crowds, to secure photos of the beautiful, rich embroidered garments.  It was regrettable that, due to my broken boiler, I had to miss what would have been a most excellent talk to accompany the display, given by Archdeacon Dorrien Davies.













I wandered around, managing to avoid temptation at the home made cake stand, and made my way up the hill to Porth y Twr, or what is today the Bell Tower, built in the late thirteenth century as one of the four main gate ways into the Cathedral Close.  In the 1970's I was a campanologist, or bell ringer. The bell I rang was Treble, which I understand is now Bell Two.  I remember well calling out "Look Two, Treble's going; she's gone!" every time we rang a peal that began with Treble.

The main bell ringing chamber with the ropes secured


I then climbed a very steep, spiral, very narrow ancient stone steps all the way up in near darkness, ever upwards and narrowing constantly, until the bell chamber was reached. Reminding me of the steps to Cirith Ungol, it makes the Cathedral Library look like a walk in the park! I did not feel happy enough to stop to take a photo.  Here is the sight that greeted me and the other intrepid climbers as we emerged into the half light.


Here is the bell I used to ring. I believe this is now the Second Bell and is named Saint Caradog




It's hard to think such a thin piece of rope pulls and controls such a huge and heavy bell!



One last view from a higher platform before I followed everyone out and began the tricksy and slow stepping down into the ground floor and daylight once more


I shall leave you with the view from the Tower door. Stunning in any weather.


Until next time
Deborah

24 comments:

  1. The embroidered vestments are stunning, Deb. What a wonderful day you enjoyed. I'm so glad you took us up to top to view the lovely chamber of the bell tower. Hearing bells such as these at a cathedral have always been special to me. What lovely memories you have about "your" bell! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Few things bring greater pleasure than the sound of the tower bells pealing out across the land. Yes, it was a bit emotional seeing 'my bell' up close and personal. D xo

      Delete
  2. Oh, Deb! This is all so tremendously interesting and uplifting. I had to chuckle at your Cirith Ungol comment being well aware of the the terrible Shelob, having just passed that way with Frodo and Sam as I'm wending my way through the books again this summer. Now in the mustering of Rohan on the way to the Big Battle with Merry and Theoden. But I digress! The bell tower climb must be daunting indeed! How very fortunate for you to have that tremendous Cathedral on your doorstep and all of it's beauty and history at your disposal. I am forwarding this on to a friend of mine who made many a trip to the UK in earlier days and one of her and her husband's passions was studying the architecture particularly of the churches and cathedrals. She will love this. Thank you so much for sharing. And we'll give prayers that the boiler problem is soon solved! Waving from across the pond! Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew some would pick up on the Cirith Ungol reference, and Jane, how lovely it is to see you again. I am missing you elsewhere it seems. Somehow, I think a few of Shelob's offspring may be lurking in those corners of the tower!

      Delete
    2. Haha! I'm sure there are a few tiny "Shelob's" in that tower! We've had an abundance of the little critters this year, too. A lot of rain and moisture seems to help them thrive. I've missed being here, an interacting with everyone. With Gene's bed confinement (broken L2 L3 vertebra in February), he was kept immobile for so long, now strength slow in returning to limbs. Otherwise he seems fit as a fiddle, but lot of care to keep bed sores away, etc. I'm pretty much on duty 24/7. But so glad I can do it. He studies his paintings from the bed and even has a bed easel and has done a little painting. We soldier on! Thank you for thinking of us. xo

      Delete
    3. One more thing. . .I'm curious. Does the bell ringing take quite a bit of strength? I would think it might by the size of the bells. One must have to be in good shape. I remember an episode of Father Brown (PBS/Masterpiece) where there was a scene of bell ringers in the church tower. Very interesting.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you got to see what you did today. It all leaves me in awe. Glorious and fabulous, is what comes to mind. Thank you so much for showing us the photos of your wonderful corner of the world. How I would love to see it with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I wish you could see it with me too, how much you would love it all! D xo

      Delete
  4. Visited churches and cathedrals is always something I enjoy.
    Marlene.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love church architecture. Now, are you who I think you are, returned to blogging? Goes off to check.

      Delete
    2. Yes you found me again didn't you, I am naughty keep stopping and started, I wrote about Gloucester Cathedral yesterday.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful embroidery and lovely photos - thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sad to miss the talk, I would love to know the story of the vestments.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Aren't they just? btw, new laptop and I am not able to do anything other than read on both Wordpress or Instagram until I sort things out. Not ignoring your lovely posts, just cannot comment or like.

      Delete
  7. What a super post with wonderful photos. You are so fortunate to be near such a beautiful cathedral - I would love to visit the library though not sure about the stairs!! The medieval tiles are so interesting and the embroidery on the vestments exquisite :)

    It is fascinating to hear you were once a bell ringer :) and great to see your photos of the bells in the bell tower - though you were brave to go up those stairs! Just hope you didn't meet someone coming up as you went down!

    I do hope you get your boiler sorted soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes, as parish churches go this one is pretty spectacular. The stairs to the library are not too bad at all, I think it's 25 steps and fairly roomy compared to the bell tower. I go to the library often. The visits to the bell tower were in groups, counted up and down, only one group at a time, so no collisions!

      Delete
  8. I can’t imagine how long it took to complete all that embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be many hundreds of hours of work in each piece.

      Delete
  9. This is just unbelievable. What a treasure. I love how they arranged the robes as though in prayer. And what exquisite embroidery and quite the view. I'm wondering where this is -- time for some research, I think!

    I wanted to thank you for coming over to Marmelade Gypsy and for the follow. I am delighted to do the same and follow you. All the best, jeanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie. It is St David's cathedral and bell tower in west Wales. Your blog is super, and if anyone else is reading this, I recommend they drop by. Deb

      Delete
  10. Your tour of the bell tower is fascinating. Like many people my familiarity with bell-ringing is from the Dorothy Sayers book, so I especially enjoyed being introduced to "your" bells.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, now I must go find this book you speak of.

      Delete
  11. I know I've commented on this before, Deb, but I just wanted to stop by and thank you for your visits and comments on my blog!

    ReplyDelete