Friday 24 May 2019

Flowers on the Beach

Hello Friends!

What could possibly be more happy making than discovering flowers on the beach? I know!

On a gloriously sunshiny, blue skied afternoon I was strolling along Whitesands.  The gentle ocean breeze took the edge off the heat of the springtime sun, so it was very pleasant indeed.


The big Spring tide was out, so there was a grand expanse of golden sand on which to walk, and it looked peaceful and quiet away on the far end, so off I set. Up near the car park and Porthmawr Surf Lifesavers Hut people milled about on the sand, enjoying their afternoon.


A few intrepid swimmers braved the cold; some young surfing dudes received instruction in a group; and sunburn in the making was observed as people sat and enjoyed an ice cream, or strolled along the beach, or built castles of sand and fortresses of stone.


I like the far corners of the beach best of all; they are quiet and more contemplative, with interesting finds to interest and enlighten.  Here, in the peaceful space suspended somewhere between the soaring cloud puffed skies and  the fathomless blue ocean, as the life giving sun warms my face, I feel an overwhelming sense of calm, of being, and deeply connected to Gaia, nature, spirit, whatever you call that peaceful feeling of oneness with the Universe, or with your God.

As I walked down the beach, I took a path close to the sea which gently lapped. I thought of the surfer wannabes, not much surf for them to enjoy today, poor things.


I reached the far end and stopped, sat and listened, closing my eyes and letting the energy of the Universe flow into my consciousness before letting it steep deeper into my being.  I felt a complete oneness with my surroundings and let my spirit meditate on all the energy of nature that was flooding in.

The random raucous call of a lonely gull lifted me into a different state of awareness.


Unknown time had passed and I knew I had to return from the place of bliss my spirit had found back into the present, so I returned to the now, and turned to begin my walk back up to the distant car park.


I decided to take a path closer to the cliffs that edge this beautiful beach in the wild west of our country, and found many things to delight me.

A silver white crab shell caught my eye, an empty shell of a life once lived at sea.


on I walked until a dry and withering heap of the most delightfully red, inspiring seaweed on the high water mark caught my eye. Such colour, such vibrancy, such texture.



And then something truly magical ~ flowers on the beach!  Some, slightly higher up on the cliffs, but some right down on the stones that edge the golden sand. What an unexpected treat this was to find.





How gorgeous, how glorious they look as they scatter and tumble, falling in drifts down the craggy cliffs to the sandy shore below.




How tenacious life is, in even the most treacherous of places, lashed by stormy seas and scorched by summer sun, it finds as nook or cranny and takes a precarious, precious hold, learning not only to survive, but to thrive and bring such beauty in an unexpected place into the world.

Until next time
Deborah xo

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos and I felt I was back in Devon with the flowers wedged in amongst the cliffs. I so miss that sort of coastline. Wonderful for you Debs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful!
    I enjoyed walking along the beach with you Deb.
    Feeling nostalgic - it's been too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it has. Time you came this way again!

      Delete
  3. They do look as if they are hanging on for dear life.....lovely photos, what a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely to take a walk along the shore, Deb. The low tide is my favorite time to walk on the sand with feet firmly planted and not trudging and sinking. I love the sight of flowers hanging on for dear life, but thriving and reaching toward the sun. All's right with the world at the sea. The lovely photos took me right there. Thank you, Deb. xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. I was sinking slightly on both ways! In the watery sand and in the dry sand! Next time I visit her I must wear sandals that can go in the salt water without spoiling; then I can go to the rock pools on the other end of the beach. xo

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed so much the stroll by the sea, Deb. The wildflowers on the cliffs reminded me of the same we saw years ago in California in the mountains where we lived. Gene did a masterful painting once of the delicate clusters clinging to the rocks. It was a wonderful memory of that painting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely spot! Can you walk to this beach? The flowers are amazingly beautiful especially when you consider where they are growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can walk, several routes, about two miles, across country lanes that wind through bucolic meadows, but two miles adds four to the walk!

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful walk you had, soul-restoring and delightful! Gorgeous photos, fabulous imagery with your words. I thoroughly enjoyed this walk with you~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear friend, and so glad you came along! Next time we'll take a picnic. xoxo

      Delete
  8. Very tenacious little plants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful beach and walk and so soul restoring. It is always special to find somewhere where you can lose yourself and feel completely at one with nature. I just love the flowers - a great discovery and thank you so much for sharing the walk and photos. Your posts so often make me feel completely at peace with myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely, I always walk in the opposite direction to every one else too:-)
    Lovely to see the thrift and bird's foot trefoil. I was on Mull of Galloway last week and there was lots in flower there too.

    ReplyDelete