Monday 18 September 2017

Pretty Porthgain

Hello Friends!

After the wild and woolly lashings of Aileen against our shores, the weather has become decidedly improved with pleasant temperatures and lighter winds. I awaken each morning to the kind of days I dream of all year long while waiting, with eager anticipation, of Autumn.


This afternoon seemed a perfect day to visit nearby Porthgain, a small hamlet with an intriguing juxtaposition of quaint cottages and imposing industrial stone ruins, complete with a functional red telephone kiosk {necessary, as you won't get a very good mobile signal here} and small red post box ~~~


I was surprised at the number of cars present, but then Porthgain has two of the areas favourite hostelries, The Sloop Inn and The Shed.  Below, you can see the industrial ruins, just a hundred yards or so from the picturesque cottages {above} that are quite heavy, and when you get close, they give off a Dickensian feel, gloomy, dark, and imposing, a remnant of the industrial past, when Porthgain was a bustling hive of industry, built into the cliffs ~~~



The harbour is quite small, and today is used by local fishermen, and in the height of Summer it is very busy with visiting boats sailing the coast or looking for a quay from which to launch and sail forth into the Irish Sea ~~~

 
The tide comes in quite quickly too ~~~


Porthgain is an "on off" point for walkers along this stretch of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park where you can pick up one of the seasonal bus services, the environmentally friendly Strumble Shuttle, if you are done walking for the day and want to return, foot sore and weary, to your accommodation.


Of course, you may wish to refresh yourself with tea and cake at The Shed, or something a little stronger at The Sloop Inn before continuing along the path, or boarding your transport!

I opted for a delicious slice of Coffee Walnut Cake, loaded with walnuts and bursting with coffee flavour at The Shed, with a refreshing pot of tea ~~~


and such a pretty view, overlooking the small harbour, to look at while savouring my treat ~~~


By the time I'd finished my tea, the tide was filling up the harbour quickly indeed ~~~


A trip out would not be a trip out if I didn't take some photographs of the things that speak loudly to my creative soul, so today I found some old red brick work, a lovely, chunky, rusty chain, and a rather scary opening in the brick work ~~~





 I hope you've enjoyed our little trip out along and up the coast!  Soon, I think we'll have to get back into the garden. Yesterday, I cut back the mint, oh! did it smell divine! The tidying up, preparing to tuck the garden away for the Winter has begun ~~~

Until next time ~~~
~~~Deborah xo


19 comments:

  1. What an interesting town! Those ruins do look a bit Dickensian! That cake! Oh, my! I can taste it from here!

    So glad you made it through that storm. Looks like our country is not done yet with hurricanes. It's been a busy season so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ~ the cake was good, but as Porthgain takes less than five minutes to walk right around, I don't think I earned the calories!

      Delete
  2. What fun! Thanks for taking us along. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful place to visit. Lovely photos, as always. Even tho I do not like coffee, that cake looked delicious. I'm so glad you had a good day out.

    The weathering on the red brick was amazing. And that rusty, chunky chain, so great. Lots of fabulous texture for you to capture with your camera.

    Love and hugs,
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you can have some of the Lemon Almond cake they had, or a Welsh Cake, or some Bara Brith instead?

      Yes, the textures were great, only wish I'd had more time to explore some more.
      XOXO

      Delete
  4. What a lovely relaxing way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kind of place. What was the industry? Lovely post, thank you for taking me along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you could come!

      The industry began with slate, from a nearby quarry at Abereiddi, then continued with brick making, before ending up as crushing rock for road surfacing. If you click on the 'Porthgain' link you can read a lot more about it, and the general area too.

      Delete
  6. Brought back memories for me, often stayed at Solva, and Porthgain was a favourite walking place and of course Abeiriddi with its old industrial buildings and cottages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, so you know the area well then? I hope to be bringing more local interest writings soon, so do keep a look out!

      Delete
  7. What an interesting and picturesque place to visit and explore. Lovely photos - the cake looks delicious and what a view from the window :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ~ it was lovely to have you along this time, instead of me along on your lovely blog! I only wish I'd had more time to climb up and take some shots looking down.

      Delete
  8. Love industrial history - brilliant photos - thank you, as for the cake MMmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wish I'd had more time to explore ~ there is a real, dismal, Dickensian smoke and grime feel to that side of the harbour.

      Delete
  9. The photos of the harbor are fabulous! I truly miss a respite where a pot of tea and slice of cake may be purchased. Perhaps my new to me favorite cafe will take that on...can't hurt to ask.
    As to the phone box...great idea where mobile phone service isn't readily available. I wish phone boxes would make a come back in the States but that's not happening...urban/city people cannot understand living where there's no/limited service. It boggles their mind!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. Oh, I could not be where tea and cake are hard to find! You must ask, indeed!

    ReplyDelete