Wednesday 24 May 2017

Let There be Mint {and Basil}

Hello Friends!

It is a glorious afternoon in the Shire, maybe at times a tad muggy, but then the wind freshens and whips it all away for a few minutes, and it is such beautiful sunshine to lift my flagging spirits after several days of murk.

Over the past few weeks you’ve seen photographs of my free mint plant. Well, not exactly free, in the middle of winter, when there was no mint in my garden, I bought one of those growing herb pots for £1.00 and when I had used it, I put the pot outside to be dealt with later when the weather improved.  In the meantime, the root kept on growing and a few weeks ago I noticed lovely, small green shoots in the pot, so I potted it up into a bigger container with some fresh compost and look at it now! A few weeks of moderately warm days, a few days of rain, as well as regular watering when it is dry and I’ve got a lovely, big, healthy mint plant.  I’m not certain, it may be Moroccan Mint, but it has that deliciously fresh minty taste to it, and which is perfect for fresh mint tea {which I love}

These photos are taken over several weeks, in chronological order ~~~

7th April
 
20th April

28th April 
13th May

24th May


Then, I did the same thing with some basil {which I never have much success growing from seed} I bought a pot, used some of it, then planted up the twenty or so stems, which are invidual plants, into a bigger pot and I now have fresh basil for a few weeks longer ~~~


I've also found an early~ish lone foxglove in my hedge ~~~ I love foxgloves dearly and am privileged that the simple, pink native has chosen to make a home in my garden ~~~





It's nearly June and things are moving along in the garden now ~~~

Until next time ~~~
~~~Deborah xo


15 comments:

  1. There seems to be one of lots of different things in our garden but haven't spotted a foxglove yet.
    Mint certainly gets going if it's happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think my foxglove decided to be the first, although a neighbour does have cultivated ones open too.

      Delete
  2. Deb, your mint is certainly happy in its pot! I love it as well and I should get some to put into a pot. Years ago when I was an overly zealous gardener, I planted mint--I'm sure you know the rest of the tale. It took over my garden and my patience. Thinking of you, my friend, as we all praying for peace. xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear, yes! Fool that I am I thought I'd be able to keep the mint in the ground under control ~ that is a tale which is still coming back to bite me! ~~~Deb xo

      Delete
  3. We have had similar experiences after bsuying living herbs. Each year foxgloves pop up on the allotment and where possible are left to flower and scatter their seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to discipline myself on allowing foxgloves everywhere ~ they can take over!

      Delete
  4. I think mint is such a lovely plant. I love the crinkly texture of the leaves. It's a 'happy' plant. I am glad yours is growing so well.

    The close-up of the foxglove is just amazing. I still am incredulous that flowers have 'hair'. And I would not know that if it wasn't for you. :-)

    Love and hugs,
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a happy plant! Pretty flowers will follow later too. I think it is safely established now so I can pick some too!
      I don't think I would have known foxgloves are so hairy if it wasn't for digital imagery!
      Hugs and love Deb xoxo

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos - the mint looks so healthy :) We have planted up a wall on the patio using supermarket herb pots :) Love the foxgloves - bees adore them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ~ yes, the mint is looking so good I don't want to pick any! I love foxgloves for that very reason ~ lots of bees in the garden.

      Delete
  6. Your mint looks lovely and reminds me I need to plant some. I love using it for tea, but also I make a mint simple syrup to add to recipes. I'm looking forward to my trip and seeing the lovely gardens in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hadn't thought to make a mint syrup, that's a great idea! I hope our good weather holds for your trip and you get to see the late spring flowering at so many gardens, not to mention our hedgerows! Safe journey ~~~Deb xo

      Delete
  7. Don't you love those kinds of garden surprises! We have a pile of left over dirt in one corner of our property and I found a foxglove growing in it! I plan to transplant it today--if this rain stops long enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found some more, growing on my ancient stone hedge, today so that puts plans to do work on the hedge on the 'to do' list rather than the 'do now' list! Hope you got the transplanting done.

      Delete
  8. We had a basil plant. It did not live very long.

    ReplyDelete