Friday 19 May 2017

Butter Bean and Avocado Tacos

Hello Friends ~~~

I've been looking for something a little different to give my taste buds a lift lately and this is one of the recipes I've come up with. It's still a work in progress, but then I do love to play with my food!

As a vegetarian I'm always looking for different ways to cook with pulses, beans and grains which I love, and which form a staple part of my diet. So, yesterday, I went on one of my Fridge Raid meals and tonight I made a tweaked version of last night's Fridge Raid. I'm calling it Butter Bean and Avocado Tacos.  This is a cold filling.  Here's what you'll need ~~~

For two servings:
1 can Butter Beans, drained
1 ripe avocado, peeled
50 grams of cheese {Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or any hardish cheese of your choice ~ I used Harlech, a lovely cheese flavoured with horseradish, from my local deli} grated.
4 spring onions {salad onions, scallions} thinly sliced
A generous pinch {to taste} of chilli powder {optional}
A generous pinch {to taste} of smoked paprika {optional}
A pinch of sumac {to taste and optional, but I like the slightly sour taste}
A squeeze of lemon or lime juice, or some of the pickling juice from a jar of Pepperdew or similar
Olive oil
Spring of mint, chiffonade
Pinch of Chipotle flakes, for presentation, optional
Taco shells, or soft tortillas to serve


Here's what I did next:

In a large bowl, using a potato masher or a fork {which gives you control over the texture} mash together the avocado, butter beans, cheese, spring onions, mint and seasonings. When all mashed and blended, but still with some texture, slacken it off with a squeeze of lime {or lemon} juice and some Extra Virgin olive oil. Adjust seasonings to taste.


Heat your taco shells or tortillas according to the packet directions and fill with your butter bean mixture. Sprinkle over the Chipotle flakes if using. Serve immediately and enjoy ~~~



Bon Appétit ~~~
Until next time ~~~
~~~Deborah xo

11 comments:

  1. Gosh that looks delicious - will certainly be giving it a try here as half of the family are vegetarian so always looking for new ideas. Taco shells always go down well - looks very healthy too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm sure the meat eaters won't miss the meat with this either and it is so easy to double up, or half as I do {being the only vegetarian in the house}.

      Delete
  2. I'm beginning to think I'm the only person who doesn't like avocado! even our 1 year old grandson has eaten more of them than me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love butter beans and avocado Deb, so I know I would enjoy your recipe.I like the addition of the mint. Tacos shells sound like a nice vessel for your tasty filling. xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I hope you try and enjoy. It could also be used as a pâté style spread on, for example, ciabatta. xoxo

      Delete
  4. I like butter beans and just last summer tried an avocado. I think this looks good. I will give this a try. It looks like something that would satisfy all.

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite filling and with avocado is full of healthy fats too. Let me know how you get on when you do try it!
      Deb xoxo

      Delete
  5. I'm a vegetarian and these sound wonderful. I just did a recipe for veggie meatballs using kidney beans and elbow macaroni that were delicious. Now, I want tacos for dinner, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope you'll give them a go. Next time I'm leaving out the cheese and substituting tofu instead.
      xoxo

      Delete