Thursday 2 April 2020

A New World

Hello Friends!

It's a new world, a strange world, in which we now live.  It's like waking up every morning into a reality of living in a B Class science fiction movie, and a new normal for each of us emerges as we disinfect the living daylights out of everything in an effort to destroy the hidden enemy, and we fight over toilet paper {does anyone know why?} and keep away from everyone.

In the midst of all this chaos, fear, and madness, the world still turns about us, though we may not notice as much as we did.  If we are lucky, we can still chat to our neighbours over the garden wall, strictly keeping our distance.

The clocks have sprung forward, the days are lengthening, and we cling with fervent hope to the day when this living nightmare will be over, but those days are a long way off.

My garden ticks and tocks the moments away, and although there is not much to show, there have been some moments.  Here are a few things in bloom.

Camellias, big and blousy, always boldly bright, and the pink are nearly over, the red just starting to take off




The Pieris gives a bright and bold depth of red to the border as the new waxy looking leaves grow and glow in the warm Spring sunshine




My beloved Pasque flower surprised me by suddenly opening this week.  You know I will wax lyrical over this in the coming weeks




A perfect, early Spring evening, peaceful, clear and crisp, in a darkening night sky.  The westering day fades in an ombre blue sky that seeps into shades of plum on the distant horizon.  Above our heads sat the new, crescent moon, smiling sweetly at Venus, the Evening Star, as she shimmers, a tiny and distant diamond of hope in the gloaming.


Of late, we are seeing more colour in our sunsets too, and the plummy shades tinged with mango and raspberry are delicious to watch each evening


I hope you are keeping safe in isolation.  Remember, you are not stuck indoors, you are SAFE indoors and that we are all in this together, doing our bit to help the NHS cope in the days and weeks to come.

Until next time
Deborah xo

18 comments:

  1. Dear Deborah
    Thank you so much for this blog spot and your twitter page. It really brightens my day. I visited your lovely city several years ago with my son. He took me to Wales to see the birthplace of my grandparents. I wish you well and maybe someday I'll get to meet you when I come again. All the best to you say safe. Nos da Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue, for such kind words. How exciting that must have been for you, and now we have something to look forward to!

      Delete
  2. Not sure what happened to my last comment so huge apologies if you get two similar comments!!

    Thank you so much for your post with its gorgeous flowers which have brightened my day. The camellias look dreamy and so pretty and the pasque flower is just beautiful. We live in such worrying times and I keep thinking I am living in a nightmare and will eventually wake up! Yet, I look in the garden and everything looks so very normal as cycles of nature continue. Take care and stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I look forward to the daily changes in the pasque flower now. Nature does carry on, leaving us behind for now, but we'll catch up again.

      Delete
  3. Deb, your flowers are so lovely. I was thinking today while in my own garden, that the flowers and the trees know little of what's going on around us- or do they? They are the bright spots in my day. I adore your Pasque flower, simply gorgeous! Stay safe, my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wonder what changes you found in your own garden after you returned from your holiday? I am so looking forward to your blog again. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos Debs, we count our blessings that we have a garden. We are delighting in the smallest things now that the world has slowed down, determined to stay positive. Stay well - thinking of you. xRosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosie, yes our gardens will become our sanctuary in the strange days that lie ahead. xo

      Delete
  5. I love this post, Deb. I'm so grateful we can go for a walk but we're seeing nothing like your beautiful blooms as of yet. Soon, I hope. I'm happy to be in and safe for as long as it takes. It is a bit of a nightmare, mostly because it is so unknown, so invisible. Together, we'll make it through. We must. Stay home and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, we'll do what it takes for as long as it takes and together we will make it through to that Brave New World that awaits.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your lovely visit today, Dear Friend. The photos are gorgeous. Nature continues on with her day, not worrying about our troubles. Maybe we should emulate her a bit.

    Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dearest Friend. Yes, nature sets a good example for us to emulate indeed. xoxo

      Delete
  7. I think the toilet paper fiasco is psychological and taps into the fact that once things appear to be running out everyone frabs what they can. We’ve supermarket shopped on line for a few years now but at the moment can’t get a delivery slot after this week. When we can -lace an order so much is out of stock - last week it was cheese. No cheese to be had at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Here, it's now baking ingredients, as well as cleaning products and pasta. Shocking pictures now emerging of bins full of fresh food, bought in panic and now gone off and discarded. Such a waste.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Likewise and missing all your happy Tweets too xo

      Delete
  9. Beautiful flowers! We're still waiting for the grass to turn green here in Maine!💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will green soon! Mine is yellow from not being cut in seven months. It's already starting to green up nicely.

      Delete