Saturday 3 August 2019

Summer Days

Hello Friends!

What a glorious week of wonderful Summer weather we have had in the west.  It has been hot but not unbearably so, and the days have brought endless sunshine from one end of the day to the next. Tourists have been happy, the annual Sand Church competition went ahead with the tide way out and plenty of good weather for building such creative ideas. I had to work, but found it all on Facebook later that evening.  Fetes, outdoor events, and local festivals have all happened in the best of weather and everyone is smiling and happy, which is what we all like to see.

Blue sky above my cottage!  More than enough for a pair of sailor's trousers, I think we can outfit the fleet!


Please pause with me for a moment, though, for it is not all blue sky and sunshine.  My heart and prayers go out to the parts of England that have suffered most dreadfully. There are some areas that suffered with a heatwave of record breaking proportions, only to have this followed by horrendous thunderstorms, bringing torrential rain which is still bringing life threatening floods and destruction to so many.  I am sad to say that Lyme Park National Trust property is one such place under flood, and some of the significant historic gardens have been destroyed. There are more storms to come.

Speaking of the National Trust, I have been busy polishing my wood furniture with a tin of their finest Furniture Polish. Well, if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me!  Isn't this the most sumptuous colour?


The garden slowly fades into late Summer now, and flowers are fewer and further between.  My favourite Field Poppies are flowering and producing welcome seed heads now.


However, this very morning I picked a small handful of the first blackberries of the season. They were sweet and juicy, for we have had rain and sunshine in good quantities at the optimum times. Later, I found half a dozen more.  Yummy!


Butterflies have been visiting too, and Painted Ladies are in exceptionally high numbers across the country.


A Gatekeeper


Red Admiral 


Large White


Do you recall that lovely patio rose I shared here {scroll down a bit to see it}?  The buds that grew around the main one opened suddenly and all together making this sumptuous display.


My one worry is that this spray is on a sucker. I know the damage suckers can do, but oh! it's just so pretty I have not the heart to cut it off.

I apologise for my intermittent appearances, and the brevity of my words, but I am very busy at work now. The main season is upon us, and for most who live here it's a case of all hands on deck while the holidays run, then it will all calm down again. The weather is on the turn too, which means it will be even busier as people do not want to go to the beach or walk the coast path. 

Until next time
Deborah 

10 comments:

  1. We haven't had the amazing blue skies over here in the East, but thankfully neither have we had that rain. I can't imagine what it must feel like with a dam about to give way over a whole village - more like a story from South America.
    The butterflies are just so brilliant this year - lovely to see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but it also brings to mind the winter of 2013 {I think} when the Somerset Levels flooded for months. What must the residents of Whatley Bridge be going through?

      Delete
  2. Good weather for gardening here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much today, but now I won't have to water!

      Delete
  3. The weather sounds and looks glorious where you are :) One does have to feel for the poor residents of Whatley Bridge and others affected by floods. Your photos are wonderful and it is great to be seeing so many butterflies this year. Pleased Painted Ladies have reached you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes our weather, for once, is glorious. Usually it's the other way about. Trying to make the most of it!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos, as usual. Loved the butterflies. We had clouds and rain today, and humid! But I can feel the difference, I think the wheel is turning and Autumn is creeping close by...I sure hope so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. Well, I am glad to hear you have some cooler weather at last! xo

      Delete
  5. Such a lovely visit to catch up with you, my friend. Your lovely photos of the butterflies make my heart happy. I first heard the blue sky comment by the Captain on the QM2. Such a lovely thought and yes your blue will make enough for the whole fleet. I'm so sorry to hear about Lyme Park. We enjoyed a lovely visit there in 2015 and I can't imagine their gardens in ruin. I do hope the weather moderates for you all soon. xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased you have fond memories of Lyme Park, the gardens I believe are lost. We got away relatively lightly in my corner, for it came for us overnight. Sunny skies and cooler days now, but another front coming in for this weekend!

      Delete