Monday 29 July 2019

Lazy Hazy Days

Hello Friends!

Glorious Summer has arrived! Much of the United Kingdom has basked in, or suffered {depending on your view} a heatwave of record proportions. Here in the west, the high, often stifling temperatures have been tempered by the soft Summer breezes that billow in from the ocean that surrounds the land I call home.

Warm days, often accompanied by warm nights, have kept us happy for days, and the odd sudden and sharp Summer downpours have been greeted as they cool us down and refresh the land.

I have been busy in work, so I have not been out and about enjoying the languid days as much as the people I serve in the information centre and shop, but I am happy meeting and greeting, and doing what I can to ensure others enjoy their visit to my home.


The garden pots have needed regular watering. As much as possible I use grey water.  The lawn is more yellow now than green, and I do not water it, but grass is tenacious and it will recover once the heatwave passes, as it surely will.  Laundry dries quickly, and bedding is strewn on airers in the garden to freshen and puff up in the bleaching sunlight and fresh breezes that blow. Those same breezes make the Verbena Bonariensis and Wind Anemones sway and dance delightfully, bringing soft rhythm and colour to the borders as the earlier blooming flowers fade and turn to next year's seed.





Yesterday was the birthday anniversary of Beatrix Potter, a particular heroine of mine. To me, she is so much more than the authoress of Peter Rabbit and other children's books, the tales of which many of us grew up with. She was a born countrywoman, with an unsurpassed natural love of the land, the countryside and it's ways; she was an illustrator whose work leaves me in awe; above all, she understood the importance of land management and her bequest to the National Trust left a legacy from which strong foundations were built, making the National Trust the respected organisation it is today.  Her legacy was so important to the Trust that they have named their  Central Offices in Swindon Heelis {her married surname} in honour of her.  

A few years ago I painted this little water colour, copied from one of her own, in her honour.


A parish fundraiser caught my eye, so off I went for a Strawberry Cream Tea treat. I arrived in good time for I wished to beat the crowds that would later pour in.   It was a delightful afternoon, and a perfectly lovely spot to sit and enjoy some refreshment.



On my way home, I stopped a while amongst the old and ancient stones that mark the silent resting places of the sleeping people of the parish gone long before, and glancing through the shady trees I saw the old part of the new cemetery and the former Cathedral caretaker's house, Sunny Bank.




The sudden Summer burst of colour in the garden is slowly winding down, but here's some of what is still doing well in my cottage garden.





The blackberry vines are in full flower and already many sprigs of berries are formed, so if we have a good and heavy rainfall soon then the crop should be a bumper one this Autumn.


On Thursday next the calendar turns to August 1st ~ how, my friends, has this come around so quickly? Soon we will be hurtling into Autumn, my most favourite season of them all.  Fruits to be foraged and harvested, Winter stores to prepare and put up!  A busy time in the kitchen coming soon.

Until next time
Deborah xoxo

16 comments:

  1. Lovely summery photos and the cream tea on crested china looks very posh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the cathedral china, so yes, fairly posh and impressive.

      Delete
  2. Deb, the beauty of your homeland pulls at my heartstrings. I love reading your lovely words and descriptions of life around you. Your photography is just as amazing as your words. How delightful the Strawberry Cream Tea affair looks in such an amazing spot. I must inquire about the 3 white blossoms--are they clematis? Whatever I love them as I have a thing for white blossoms in the garden. It sounds like you are enjoying your job and I'm sure they love having you work with them. Have a happy day, my friend. xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for your kind words, and also I know how much you love my homeland. The three flowers are Nigella, or Love in a Mist. I had blue and mauve ones too. They freely self seed, but even the most tenacious plants will give up under an ocean of weeds! Wishing you a wonderful week! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Your photos are stunning (I have fallen completely in love with the first one it is wonderful) and your words and descriptions so lovely.

    As you know I am very taken with your Beatrix Potter water colour. I still read her childrens' books from time to time and I have a couple of biographies about her. I love her fungi illustrations - they are stunning. I have a book called Beatrix Potter's Art which was a present and one of my most treasured possessions :)

    The Strawberry Cream Tea looks delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope I still have the original size of that first photo as I have been approached to sell it.

      Beatrix Potter's nature studies are quite something, a whole world away from her children's illustrations.

      Have a lovely week exploring and fortifying with more delicious cakes!

      Delete
  4. Lovely post, Deborah. Beautiful photographs. The heat here in Maryland matches yours but we are used to it so most have air conditioning! Your sea breeze must be most welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's correct, no air conditioning except in some shops and office spaces.

      Delete
  5. Your posts always make me feel as if I have had a vacation, or holiday to you, I think. They are a lovely pause to my day. Your gorgeous photos are breathtaking. I am always amazed by them. And am becoming more familiar with your village in your photos. Your watercolor is beautiful. Thanks for the wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend. I wish you could come here on holiday. You would love it and we'd have such fun.

      Delete
  6. It's been wet and thundery here today. Some of your photos have a lovely dreamy quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For once we are getting very pleasantly warm, breezy, blue skied summer days! I see some parts are taking a real pasting now.

      Delete
  7. Sorry if this a repeat, but I didn't see my comment made earlier. Because you were honoring Beatrix Potter, I want to look up a biography and read about her life. I liked it that you encouraged us to look closely at the photo of the former home of the caretaker for the cathedral. I sure do enjoy your beautiful photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I cannot find an earlier comment from you, it must not have gone through. I am happy you want to look more into the life of Beatrix Potter.

      Delete