Friday 21 June 2019

In The Pink

Hello Friends!

It's Summer, well, the date and fact that we've had the Solstice tells me it is supposed to be Summer, but the cold and chilly winds and that I have the heating on tells me differently. Still, the garden is now doing it's very best and it's putting a big smile on my face.

Recently, I noticed that many of the flowering plants in my cottage garden seem to be pink, or one of a number of varying shades and tones of that colour. Why, I didn't realise there were so many!

Pink is such a joyful colour. It can be delicate and blushing, shy and unassuming, or it can be boldly bright and blazing.  It goes so well with many colours, for subtlety or eye popping dazzling contrast. There are the cold bluey pinks that border on mauve; there are the orangey and yellow coral pinks that sit somewhere in the middle;
there are the red pinks, that full blown pink as we move into the warmer sector of the spectrum.

Since early Spring pink has been popping up all over my garden, beginning with the pink Camellias, and moving on from there with aquilegia, apple blossom, and more.  Blooming in my garden right now there are pink pinks {carnations}; pink roses; deep pink roses; cream roses tinged with pink; coral pink roses; tiny, papery pale pink and also deep pink geraniums; all sorts of assorted pink geraniums that have promiscuously cross pollinated serendipitously; pink columbine, or aquilegia, again many shades that are a result of cross pollination; several different pink Oriental poppies. deep pink osteospermums; pink pelargoniums; and earlier in the year there were pink camellias; why, even two of my varieties of strawberries are pink; as are pink tinged blackberry blossoms, and so much more!  Also, the lovely, and fragrant, Betty's Smile rose with it's delightfully delicate blush pink, slowly opening this morning.

Today, I spent some time sorting though photographs, and these are just a few!  If you dislike pink, look away now!
































I have never thought of myself as a pink kind of person. so I don't know if this is a deliberate and conscious action on my part; or if my subconscious took over; or if it's just happened that way, that pink things seem to find their way into my garden.  Whichever, there's an awful lot of pink in my garden!

What colour dominates your garden palette? Did you think about it, or has it just happened? And, do you like pink?

Until next time
Deborah xo


16 comments:

  1. Love the peach/pink poppy and the frilly dark pink and white carnation/pink (whichever it is).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink is a bit of a surprise, as I had forgotten it was there, and then up it popped. Hardy enough for all the peculiar weather throws at it.

      Delete
  2. These are my favorite colors in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a wonderful variety of flowers in bloom. I'm glad you put in more photos of 'Betty's Smile--it is just lovely. I really like the photo of the single roses too. In spring, the most common color in my garden is orange---(annuals that re-seed every year) California poppies and Calendulas. It is fun to see flowers in your garden that I am not familiar with. Counting down the list of your photos, which number is aquilegia ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilyn. Yes, Betty's Smile is now full of bloom and looking lovely, just like my Mum. If I have counted correctly, the aquilegia is number 12.

      Delete
  4. I love pink and I too have masses in my garden, with purple, blue and white. I like to wear it as well - even my glasses are pink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like the pink! Purple, blue and white are also a lovely combination which they say is good for a seaside garden. I love those colours by moonlight best of all.

      Delete
    2. :-) you take such beautiful photos too.

      Delete
  5. Colour names are very vague aren't they? One word for so many variations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My garden tends to run to purple. I love your pinks. The various shades are so wonderful to see. Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinks can easily drift into purple, by way of the bluer mauves and look lovely together. Thanks for stopping by today, my friend! xo

      Delete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous!! Beautiful pictures of a well tended garden. My flowers are lost in weeds right now due to back issues but hope to get back out there soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry about your back. My garden is not that well tended either due to the same, but it is loved, even the weeds!

      Delete
  8. What a really beautiful set of photos and they illustrate so well all the different shades of pink :) Your garden must be looking so lovely at the moment. In fact, if it wasn't now raining and nearly dark I would be going at in my garden and checking all our pink flowers!!! :) It will have to wait until tomorrow.

    I do like pink in flowers but rarely wear pink! I tend to wear mainly blue clothes and I do like blue flowers - but we do tend to have a mix of all colours in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I always feel this is the time of year, for about six weeks, that the garden is at it's finest. Oh, how I wish it would look so good the rest of the year!

      Delete