Saturday 18 May 2019

The Joys of Spring

Hello Friends

It has been a week or two, maybe even three since I last stopped by for a chat. Time marches, ever on, and the flowers in my garden once more come into their own. Those that took a battering from Storm Hannah have done their very best to recover, and those that kept their precious heads below the parapet now flourish and flower, giving their most beautiful all.

Here's a little of what is blooming in my corner of The Shire this week.

Of course, it wouldn't be Spring in Wales without the rain, and the rain brings out the snails, so look who I caught, red handed on my lovely French tarragon. Shortly after this, it became a tasty snack for a nearby beady eyed bird!


My peony, an offspring of the one salvaged thirty years ago by my late father from a fate of going to landfill ~ he rescued it, brought it home, planted and nurtured it well, and it rewards me still.


The delicate clematis, the Lazarus plant, for it returned from the dead years after we thought it was lost, is slowly opening, bud by bud by precious bud


Each day I eagerly await and monitor it's progress


and beneath the towering clematis sits two of the many self sown columbine or aquilegia in many shades of purple and pink



 A few days on, the clematis is doing very well indeed




and opens out in all its glory


a little arty play with some filters


These two patio roses were bought by my dearly loved mother over ten years ago, and I had given up on them! They were pushed into a corner, neglected for nearly three years while my attentions have been elsewhere. I wish I had taken before photos, for they were in a truly sorry state, dry dead twigs with no sign of life and I held no hope, but still I decided to try again.  The best "before" I have is this, where you can see how poor a condition they were in after resuscitation commenced.


I cleared away the thick and choking weeds, refreshed the compost, added some Richard Jackson's Container Magic to the compost, and put them in a warm and sunny spot. For over a month I have tended with water and regular feedings of Richard Jackson's Flower Power, and just look at them now!  You would not recognise them. {I am not receiving any remuneration from Richard Jackson' I think the product speak for themselves}



The exceptionally fragrant Rosa Rugosa is in bloom, and soon the air will be filled with exotic scents of Summer



A Golden Wedding, the yellow rose of friendship


I do hope to come across the adult Red Tiger moth that will emerge from this beautiful, big caterpillar.  It will be a stunner, for sure.


and finally on our little tour around the garden, the Arum lilies are opening out in all their simple elegant beauty.


Soon, we shall step out into the countryside once more,

Until next time,
Deborah xo

14 comments:

  1. Just like Lazarus, as you say, the garden arises and springs forth in beauty! Flower Power and Container Magic sound very interesting and certainly a balm for a plant that has suffered the wrath of Storm Hannah. All plants need some help and attention and a little boost every now and then. I love the photos and especially the beautiful lily, Deb! ♥ xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the garden does arise in beauty, but that clematis completely disappeared for several years, but suddenly grew again as if resurrected about four years ago. Have a lovely weekend in your own lovely garden! xoxo

      Delete
  2. A beautiful set of photos of flowers blooming in your garden at the moment. It is wonderful to hear of the recovery of the roses (I will make a note of the magical potions you used :) ). We have a new clematis finally starting to flower over an arch - I must check to see if it is the same as yours which looks so very pretty. We have a few columbines in the front garden that seem to self seed every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am hoping there will be flowers on those two roses soon! If I remember, one is pink, the other more coral. We shall see.

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see your blog open again with those beautiful photos.

    I have rather too many aquilegia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have been harsh with the aquilegia this year, and now regret it.

      Delete
  4. Your garden is full of such prettiness, I bought a few pink Aquilegia this year, I already have the purple/blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Oh, I could have sent you seed! I have got to beg white seeds off my neighbour.

      Delete
    2. Thankyou for a kind gesture.
      I have never seen white I bet that looks beautiful.

      Delete
  5. My hubby accidentally weed-eated my clematis last year and it has come back more vigorous than ever this year! Love your arty photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your heart skipped a beat or two! I have discovered that clematis, while appearing so delicate, can take quite a considerable assault yet come back fighting with wonderful displays.

      Delete
  6. It's wonderful to see your corner of the world coming alive, especially after your weather of late. beautiful photos, my friend, just gorgeous.

    love and hugs,
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear friend, yes it's all bouncing back now. xoxo

      Delete
  7. We were spared Hannah thank goodness. I'm hoping for flowers in our arum this year - it will be a first.

    ReplyDelete