Saturday 23 March 2019

Springtime ~~~ in which we start again.

Hello Friends!

It's been a long time, nearly a year, since life threw out a couple of curved balls and I decided to hang up my blogging hat until things settled down again. So, here I am again, and Spring being the season of rebirth and fresh beginnings it seemed like it might be the right time to return ~~~

I've been making noises over on Twitter recently about starting again, and batting around ideas of switching platforms, or making changes to this existing blog, but for now I'll stay put leaving things as they are. It's easier, and right now I am all for making things easier.

Speaking of making things easier, my garden is very neglected now and a mammoth task to clean it and refresh it lies ahead of me. It will take a very long time and I have to get it right first time to make it easy maintenance and keep within my budget.

I already have some new plants waiting in the wings, a hellebore, a living Christmas tree, and a very special rose called Betty's Smile.

Today I thought I would, mainly for curiosity's sake, see what is actually blooming out there as Winter draws slowly to an end. I was surprised to find nineteen plants in bloom! The photos aren't brilliant, they are more as a record than entries for IGPOTY, so forgive me. Also, the clematis is in full bud, but as it is not actually flowering I have not included it today.

So, here's what's flowering in the Cottage Days garden this middle of March day ~~~

Flowering African Currant


Alexanders


Camellia "Debbie"


Celandine


White Comfrey



Daisies


Dandelions


Not sure ~ smells of strongly of garlic but it is not Ramsons or Wild Garlic


Muscari


Pieris


Primrose Vulgaris


Primula


Camellia


Rosemary


Spanish Bluebell {soon to be dug up and burned!}


Speedwell


Sweet Cicely


Ivy Leaf Toadflax


Violets



Until next time ~~~
Deborah

18 comments:

  1. We are starting some garden renovations too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have noticed. The seasons take their toll, even in a well kept allotment and garden such as yours.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you back Deborah - all those flowering plants gladden by soul so I hope they do yours too. Gardening is such good therapy and you will reap the rewards little by little. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Unknown {I wonder who you are?} Just being outside in the fresh country air is enough, but gardening is heaven on earth.

      Delete
  3. I am beyond happy to see this post, dear friend! I am so thrilled to see so many blooms in your garden. A garden is a lifelong project that I find embraces my soul. You have so many lovely plants that make up the bones of a wonderful garden. I'm looking forward to your lovely thoughts and photos. Happy Spring! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend! Now it is all about finding those bones and building a new plan around them. It will take me about two years I think.
      Have a wonderful weekend! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Welcome back! Did you know you can eat purple toadflax? Nice in a salad. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, no I didn't, and I am not sure it is something I would want to try, although I have plenty of it! xo

      Delete
  5. So good to see you back,Deb. Proud of you. Looking forward to following your musings again. Jane xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane, lovely to see you here too! xo

      Delete
  6. Nice to see you back again; what wonderful blooms to welcome Spring!

    Sharon in Alabama, USA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back to blogging! My one lone crocus is the only thing blooming in my garden so far, but today's temps in the 60s should bring out some of those daffodils waiting in line. Why are you digging up and burning the Spanish Bluebell? Your Sweet Cicely reminds me of the plant I thought was Cow Parsley or one of the other look-alike flowers. But as I searched on-line to get the proper name I soon discovered it was Water Hemlock! I spent a year digging out the roots when a new will shoot would spring up. Having tender green (poisonous) plants in one's garden when you have a dog is not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Spanish Bluebells, although pretty, are foreign invaders from the continent and are quickly cross pollinating and wiping out our precious, quite different looking English Bluebells. The advice from the RHS is dig them up and burn, do not compost, them. I would hate to see our famous bluebell wood spring spectaculars become a thing of the past.

      Delete
  8. Welcome back and good to see you blogging again. You have some beautiful flowers in your garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello friend~

    It's wonderful to see your photos and read your musings again. I look forward to seeing what all you will be up to this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sweet Friend ~ You'll always be the first to know! xo

      Delete