Sunday 6 May 2018

The Wheels on the Bus ~~~

Hello Friends ~~~

from "A Light Exists in Spring" by Emily Dickinson

A light exists in spring
Not present on the year
At any other period.
When March is scarcely here

Of late I have made many bus journeys, and since mid February I have watched the countryside slowly change as winter makes way for spring ~ although some of us questioned the tenacity of winter to hold on much longer than was necessary, and the once again late arrival of spring.

from "Spring Quiet" Christina Rossetti

Gone were but the Winter,
Come were but the Spring,
I would go to a covert
Where the birds sing;

A few days ago, on one of my rides, I took my camera along and took some photos from the moving bus. It was quite a challenge, freezing things in focus while trundling along at speed on a bone shaker ride.  Here are some of what I managed ~~~

and we're off on a pink bus!


starting to see some shoots of green on bare trees now ~



looking up on a lovely area for wildlife ~


Burton with low tide on the Cleddau estuary ~



on the opposite side of the bridge, looking across to Pembroke Dock ~


 The pretty painted cottages of Neyland ~


The distant oil refineries, for which the estuary is famous ~



Irish Ferries dock at Pembroke Dock ~



Neyland marina ~



The rich, red clay soil of the south of the county ~


 Taken at speed so blurry, but the Ladies' Smock seems to be doing very well this year ~



Looking down on the new bike path which is still under construction and causing long delays ~


A silver green meadow, full of blown dandelion clocks ~


The lime kilns at Solva harbour ~


It must be nearly summer as the small boats are on the water ~


Come back soon, for there is history coming up next, a castle and birthplace of a king who founded one of Britain's most famous royal houses!

Until next time ~~~
~~~Deborah xo

13 comments:

  1. Oh, that was fun. Those house were adorable. I can't wait for next trip.

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I wish you could have come along! We'd have such fun, take a picnic to eat on The Green, and explore the castle that is coming up soon!
      Deb xo

      Delete
  2. Great photos through the windows of your pink bus, Deb! It's a challenge, but we who love photography find a way to make it happen. I especially like the colorful homes in your photo. Do you know the history of the multi-colors? I remember in Murano, Italy we were told the colorful homes were painted so the men coming home from the pub knew which home to enter. Lol
    Whatever the reason, they are lovely. I'm looking forward to seeing your next post. Have a lovely week, my friend! xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now, you have given me something to find out! I had never thought about the different coloured paint, but that sounds like a good plan. At one time, houses were traditionally lime washed to protect the stones, and all houses were a dark, deep red for the lime was coloured using ox blood! Imagine that!
      Deb xo

      Delete
  3. I love the colourful cottages, we used to go to Aberaeron a lot and they are the same.
    Good to see you posting your photos again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sue, Aberaeron and also Lower Solva have rows of prettily painted cottages. My posts are few and far between right now, but I'm plodding on when I can.

      Delete
  4. You took some great images from your bus journey capturing so many different things. I do love those colourful cottages - I was really impressed with those we saw in Aberdyfi.

    I look forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, these brightly painted cottages do seem to be quite a feature in a lot of Welsh villages, especially the coastal ones.

      Delete
  5. I love the fresh green of this time of year. Some of the plots on our allotment site are a sea of dandelions. I wonder what people thought of you sitting taking photos all along your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wondered that too. Most people were too polite to stare, but I noticed some curious glances coming my way.

      Delete
  6. And now June is almost here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna Lizbeth ~ At Brierwood Cottage9 June 2018 at 16:02

    Lovely photos! My favorite is the one of all of the boats on the water. Cottage hugs ~ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of riding in a pink bus..It's like the mystical magical tour with all your fabulous pictures..Thanks for sharing your journey ...Hugs

    ReplyDelete