Tuesday 17 April 2018

Head Above The Parapet

Hello Friends ~~~

It's been a while. It's been a long winter, in more ways than one, not least the unbelievable weather we've all been having across the globe.  Anyway, I'm still here, and I extend a warm welcome to several of you who have followed me, and for your lovely comments, even though I've not been around. It means a lot.

So far, 2018 has not been kind to me, I'd really love to hit "stop!" "rewind" and start over. I don't want to go into details, and I'm going to ask those of you who know the reason kindly not to mention it in the comments.  Thank you for those of you who have sent messages of support during this time.

On top of everything, I've not been well since I went down with a flu like virus before Christmas, which keeps on rearing its ugly head every few weeks. It's done the rounds, hasn't it? I don't think I've known a winter where so many have been so poorly for so long and unable to shake it off.

Yesterday, as I was bobbing along on a boneshaker of a bus, travelling from there to here, trundling along the highways and byways, winding our way along the primrose speckled hedgerows of the country lanes, I saw the first signs of both cowslips and bluebells ~ poking their tiny, sweet heads above the parapet of that all too new and familiar season of Sprinter ~ as winter has not yet left, and spring is still not here.

I was not able to take photos, we were rattling along and my new smart phone, well, let's just say I'm still getting used to it {I had to go onto YouTube to learn how to answer it, so photos could take a while, I'll stick to my camera} so these few are from my library of photos, and are in no way an indication of how advanced this are, for they are not!  It will be weeks yet before we see carpets of either blooms, but the hope is there!





A few weeks ago, I had a surprise win of a lovely parcel of goodies from Olive Branch who make the most delicious olive goodies, including olive oil dressings, tapenades, relishes and more. I won because I signed up for their Recipe Club emails!  Here's what I won, bringing a burst of Mediterranean sunshine into the gloomy days of a British winter!



Isn't it a lovely win?  I'll be using some of them again, tonight, when I make my vegetarian version of  Pasta Puttenesca for supper, with some Caws Cenarth cheese ~~~


Well, my friends, this is just a quick catch up to let you know I'm still here. I don't know how often I will be able to blog over the coming weeks, even months, and I know the garden is probably going to suffer this year.  Thank you for sticking with me!

~~~Waving~~~
Deb xoxo

p.s. which is your favourite of the two, cowslip or bluebell? Mine's the cowslip.

26 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you.
    Sorry 2018 hasn't started well.....hope things improve with the weather.
    Can't choose between Cowslip and Bluebell but we have so few bluebells in Suffolk - they tend to be limited to bits of woodland or private estates whereas cowslips are more common by the roads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Sue, and thank you. Oh, we need better weather, everywhere. It's been a corker.
      It's the fragrance I love with cowslips. We don't have many woodland bluebells either, but swathes can be seen on certain parts of the high coastal cliffs nearby.

      Delete
  2. I must say I was excited to see your post, dear Deb! I do enjoying reading your writings as that is what you are, a writer!
    Your winning basket of goodies surely is lovely as is your nice dinner!
    How lovely your photos are of the beauty of your countryside. My phone's photos are in no way comparable to photos taken with my camera. I've never seen your cowslips blooming, but I have your bluebells. How can one choose between these two lovelies? I'll say until I've seen your cowslips, I'll choose the beautiful bluebell.
    Have a wonderful evening, my friend. xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, and thank you, Martha Ellen.
      It is a hard call between cowslips and bluebells. Both so different, but both so similar too, bringing colour and fragrance to spring.
      Let's start enjoying spring at last!
      ~~~Deb xoxo

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos, Deborah. And I still would like to know how you are able to win so many contests! Luck of the Irish?? With the added Welsh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Cathy, and thank you. I don't know, but I'd really love to win a big win on ERNIE {our government investment monthly prize draw of up to a million pounds}

      Delete
  4. Dear Deb: It's been an odd year here, too, so far -- not just the weather but that, too. I think we might be able to commiserate and/or encourage one another. Would be nice to be closer. It's been very cold -- had two freezes since last Saturday, which caused my hydrangea buds to give up the ghost. And today it was 70 and now tonight at 9:00 p.m. 75 degrees and hot in the house! (Haven't turned on A/C yet). Very unusual! I do love hearing from you and reading and occasionally "chiming in" on Twitter, but just have not had energy to be very profound! I know things will get better for both of us. Prayers all around. Congratulations on your wonderful win from Olive Branch! Some very inviting items and I know you are conjuring up some wonderful dishes with them. So happy for you. Love your photos of cowslips and bluebells. I always think of Mary Russell Mitford's, "Our Village" when she talks about making the cowslip ball, so I think I'll have to say my favorite is the cowslip. Thank you for lovely and honest post. Will be thinking of and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you, Jane. Yes, things will settle, I know. I have recently started reading the Mitford series. I'm not getting in to it as I do with Maeve Binchy {my favourite} but shall persevere.
      ~~~Deb

      Delete
    2. I looked up Maeve Binchy. Had not heard of her. She sounds wonderful. I have reserved one from my library! Thank you for sharing this, Deb. xo

      Delete
  5. Lovely to hear from you Deborah, but I am so sorry to hear you have been having such a hard time.x
    Well done on your win. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, and thank you, Marlene ~ congratulations on your new blog, it's lovely
      ~~~Deb xo

      Delete
    2. Thankyou Deb x

      Delete
  6. Lovely to hear from you but so very sorry the year has started so badly for you. So hope things improve for you.

    Beautiful photos - to be honest I find it difficult to choose between cowslip and bluebell both so beautiful but would probably pick cowslip for an individual plant and bluebells if see en masse - if that makes sense!

    Lovely prize and well done on the win :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes I sure could use it all turning for the better now. It's been too long a winter, for sure.
      Enjoying my prize daily!

      Delete
  7. Hello Friend~
    Yes, this Winter has been a harsh one for sure. I would be glad to see it go...but it keeps on rearing it's head here. 90% chance of snow tomorrow. (sigh)

    I am not sure I can pick between the two flowers. The beautiful, cheerful cowslip or the gorgeous blue of the bluebell...I like them both. :-) And whether they are new photos or older ones, they are breathtaking!

    Tom would love to share your win, if only we were closer. Not being an olive fan...I will gladly let you enjoy it all. And wish you well. ;-)

    Love and hugs, Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you, Darlene ~ Tom would be welcome to help me with the olive prize, you know that. We'll get you something else instead.

      Bathed in fog here today, not funny as the rest of the UK suffers a heat wave!

      Love, D xo

      Delete
  8. Lovely blog entry Deborah! Love your writing and photos! Cowslip for me too! Congrats on your win!! You have such great luck on those. I have entered a thousand and won once.
    Lol! Enjoy!!! You sooooo deserve those wins!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Belle, and thank you. You just got to keep plugging away, I never used to win much either. Keep on entering! Dxo

      Delete
  9. I’m sorry things have been tough for you but am glad to ‘hear’ from you. Thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue ~ I am keeping up with your gardening during the bad winter and spring we've had, even if I haven't commented much.

      Delete
  10. I like both flowers. I look at how beautiful and different they are and so full of their own color. God does some wondrous work. I used to ride the city buses many years back when I lived in New York City. I enjoyed the scenes I passed and the people watching on board. I often wondered where they were going, what their names wete, and what did their apartments look like. Great daydreaming stuff. Be well. �� Peggy Willoughby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Peggy. Yes, it's a great way to while away the time spent riding on a bus. Look for my next blog, it's all about riding on the bus!

      Delete
  11. I just discovered you had a blog, don't know why I never noticed before! Love all the flowers pictures, some are different than I have seen. Lucky you on winning something, I never feel lucky at these things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Barbara, it's lovely to see you visiting. I do pop the link up from time to time on social media, so keep an eye out, do!

      Delete
  12. Deb, Your friends on the HRBC miss you! Please come back!!:-)
    Your new friend, “Dr.” Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, but don't worry, I will be back shortly. It's just that I'm a bit snowed under right now and Twitter is just too much of a distraction.

      Delete