Sunday 2 August 2015

Slipping into Autumn ~~~

Gentle Reader ~~~ a very quick dip in and out today ~~~ and a warm welcome to all the new followers who have joined in the last two weeks! I hope you enjoy my ramblings, and help yourself to tea and cake ~of course, all cake is calorie free here~

Here in The Shire Summer simply has not happened, and is more like a damp squib. Until a fortnight or so ago it was more Spring~like, and even then not as warm as Spring should be. The truth is, I am still having the heating on very first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening ~~~ yes, it is that chilly!  Sturdy breezes and stiff winds have blown almost every day, so there has been no respite from my hair flying about my face each time I step outside my cottage door. One major benefit, though, is the winds dry lines full of laundry in record time! Hurrah!

Vintage Table Linens Blowing Dry on an Early Spring Day at the Cottage
Here is a video of the sounds of the relentless winds blowing around the shrubs trees in a neighbouring garden to the Cottage ~~~


{isn't that buddleia magnificent?}

So, for the past fortnight or so, as the sun now sinks noticeably lower in the sky, the evenings already draw in, and the lights are switched on an hour earlier now than a month ago, my thoughts turn to Autumn. Each morning, as I step outside, the air is cooler, the light is softer, and there is that certain feeling to the air that words cannot describe, but my heart knows that Autumn is a knocking at the door, gently reminding Summer that her days are nearly over for another year {but Summer went on holiday, didn't she? So, Autumn, come on in!}

The bees are buzzing lazily about the garden, flitting from bloom to bloom, gathering the pollen for the hive ~~~ and I find I cannot wait a moment longer to begin unpacking my Autumn boxes ~~~ so away to Spider Village I go {the attic} and bring down the first one, the one that contains the Autumn mugs.  I will hold off for another month before I decorate, for I know it is too much for some ~ and the mugs are a subtle introduction that make me happy, and few will realise that I'm slipping into Autumn mode today {~~~shhh! it is our little secret}

Here they are, I now have four Emma Bridgewater mugs of Autumn theme, so it was bye bye to Peter Rabbit and Flopsy Bunny, and Rose and Bee, my Summer mugs, and welcome Autumn patterns ~~~

~~~ Pumpkins, Foliage, Sunflowers ~~~
and a limited edition {centre front} sold to raise funds for The Woodland Trust

While I was washing them, I thought I'd take a photo of some of the marks that are put on the base to identify them as by Emma Bridgewater.  Look how many different ones there are ~~~ apparently, she designs different ones for each collection, and changed them every year! My goodness ~ there must be hundreds of different ones to know ~~~

Potter's Marks over the years

Do you decorate for Autumn? Do you have any special things you use, recipes, ornaments, traditions?  It is a time for many things I love ~ pumpkins, hot chocolate, reading, bonfires on the beach {wrap up warm, Thermos of hot soup} but here is a bonfire on the beach in August on Martha's Vineyard, for this is the August image for my Susan Branch 2015 wall calendar.

Summer on Martha's Vineyard  ©Susan Branch 

Soon there will be a new book too, by Susan Branch, "The Fairy Tale Girl" available for pre~order here.  I hope to have my copy in time for Christmas.

Well, Dear Friends, I did say this was a quick dip in and out today, and I have already overstayed my time! Until the next time ~~~

Sincerely yours
Deborah


23 comments:

  1. I think it is at least one month early to be slipping into Autumn. I do hope you get a return of summer for a few days/weeks before that happens.

    Dusk in Midwest USA is now a little after 8:00 pm and I miss the longer days of home.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sandy ~ the days are more Autumn in feel now, and Summer is but a wisp of hope ~maybe an Indian Summer will be had in the west? I slip into Autumn early in the same way many slip into Christmas, but Autumn ends, and Christmas begins on Dec 21st in my cottage.
      So pleased you stopped by! Do drop in again ~~~

      Delete
  2. I do like autumn but there is an air of melancholy. My favourite season is spring with its promise of growth and warmth.

    But this is not always the case

    Uncertain Summer

    A bright warm spring with soft green shoots
    And blossom promise of autumn fruits.

    No clouds in sight that might destroy
    These brilliant days of careless joy.

    This early warmth has a leaden end
    Of tear streaked windows,
    I've lost a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lovely verse, Dafra. Did you compose it yourself? So pleased you stopped by today. ~~~

      Delete
  3. I love that you are getting your Fall mugs out!! It is still hotter than spit, here on the Southern US coast. Leaving me day dreaming of Fall's arrival and praying it will arrive quickly. And, I had no idea that EB used such different markings on the bottoms of her lovely mugs! I enjoyed hearing the winds blow through your garden trees...I could almost feel the coolness all the way over here!! It is such fun to flip the calendar pages, isn't it?!? Especially for me when I know that cooler months are on their way. Rabbit, rabbit, my friend and hugs from across the sea ~ Donna E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry you are still not getting respite from the heat. Hope Autumn weather comes quickly for you, Dear Donna ~~~

      Delete
  4. It was a very windy yet warm here in Devon, I dried lots of washing today, next week they forecast alot of rain here. I love a pretty mug, I have bought another one a few days ago, I am not using it until we move into the new bungalow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been good drying weather, indeed. Good luck with the move ~ hope all goes smoothly for you ~~~

      Delete
  5. Still hot here by many standards, but not bad to us. It's down to 85 F and still a lot of summer left. The bugs and weeds have no intention of leaving just yet!! But I'm hunkered in writing as often as I can. A more complete report coming soon. Enjoy your wonderful cool weather, or perhaps I should be wishing for a bit of warmth before the final days of summer finally leave. So good to hear your report! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those bugs and weeds will be the last to leave! Hope your writing is going smoothly and you will soon be reaping the rewards!

      Delete
  6. Debs, it is SO HOT here I can not even fathom Autumn. 100's for the last two weeks and 100's for the next 10 days minimum! And I might add no rain. Yesterday I spent watering 6 trees we planted 4 years ago....and today watered our precious Party Time roses that are no longer in production, I really don't want to lose them!
    If this weather trend continues in the future...perhaps we should change houses for a month or so!
    I have a nice country home....of course you will have to care for 2 barn cats, 2 house cats, two dogs and keep the birds watered and the hummers fed! It would certainly be classified a WORKING VACATION! LOL
    I wish you warmth..perhaps what we call an Indian Summer....that last hot spell.
    Love your Emma mugs. I own four.
    Chris down here in West Texas
    PS....my sheets dry on the way out to the line!!,!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Chris! That is hot! I hope your roses make it through. I've had my own zoo, so caring for yours won't be a problem! ~~~ Indian Summer is our only hope of some decent weather now ~~~

      Delete
  7. Autumn decor is starting to be advertised here, but with the air conditioner still running I refuse to even think Autumn yet! And not because I love summer. It's that I can't enjoy all the lovely colors and change of season while feeling hot! I enjoyed your video--I love the sound of wind in the trees. Your Buddleia DOES look magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cathy, I've seen pictures from JoAnne's ~ full of Autumn themed decorations. You'd love the wind today ~ it is whipping wildly ~~~

      Delete
  8. Your washing on the line made me smile, it is always a joyful scene. I have just hang our bedding out & guess what the sun is shinning & is set to shine all week.
    I love your mugs, I do live Fall colours.
    Well back to painting our bedroom, always something to do.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michelle, yes,I love looking at laundry on the line, especially brightly sparkling white table linens. I often take chairs out on the lawn and drape the duvets to give them a good airing in between washing them in the Summer sun too.
      Good luck painting the bedroom! ~~~

      Delete
  9. Shhhh! It's our little secret... Autumn is arriving early at Deb's cottage in The Shire this year! Yay!! Since it's your very favorite season of all, it can arrive any time you like, Deb!! Springtime is always my favorite time of year. It fills me with joy and wonder to watch the garden waking up! In the Midwest, it's still very hot. We call August the 'dog days' of Summer ~ hot and humid. I'm looking forward to cooler days, but still enjoying the flowers and herbs in my garden. Can't wait for 'The Fairy Tale Girl' to pop into my mailbox! What a treasure that will be! I just love your Autumn mugs ~ especially the Sunflower! ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Dawn, I don't think I could cope with 'dog days' ~ everything is so fresh and cool here now it is most comfortable and enjoyable. I'm enjoying watching everything now before the big, pre~winter wind down begins ~~~Deb xoxo

      Delete
  10. Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I WANT that Halloween mug! Like BAD.

    I don't decorate much for autumn, except for the decorative maple leafs my mother in law bought me. But I decorate it more and more for Halloween, sometimes as early as December (but gradually).

    I am glad I am not the only one who has started feeling autumn looming: http://vraiefiction.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/signs-of-coming-autumn.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Autumn decorating is not 'all out', just a few elements around the door and hearth mostly, it is more the feeling in my spirit, and of course, the kitchen kicks into Autumn cooking and baking mode! I stopped by your blog, thanks for putting the link, and it is a huge relief that I am not the only one feeling Autumn's early arrival! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Guess my blog went with the wind.
    Enjoying all your blogs ,Deb .
    Hold onto summer a bit longer.
    Lazy days--steak on the grill --potato salad-yummy stuffed eggs.
    key Lime Pie .a cool drink flavored with Rum.
    Yes, hold off the fall--a little longer.

    ReplyDelete